Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Windows 98 Shows Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk?

Windows 2000 and Earlier (Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 95)

Postby Enkoodabaoo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:31 am

Hi,

I am working with Windows 98 OS.
Problem is it is giving me error at boot like "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISK" now i have floppy disk with bootable copy in it but i don't know how to work with it.
After insert it shows me 4 to 5 option.
So, can anybody help me in shorting out this problem.

Hope u understand and guide me step by step instructions after inserting the bootable floppy disk in the computer...??

Thank you in advance.
Enkoodabaoo

Postby Akihiko » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

In your case, a floppy disk cannot solve the problem. You have to use the Windows 98 CDROM, but first you have to check whether is hard disk is connected and configured properly or if it is damaged.

The message you are getting is shown only when your hard disk is damaged, or its not configured to boot from in the BIOS.
Akihiko

Postby Dalphon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Boot the floppy. At the prompt type: sys c: and press enter, then reboot the computer without the floppy disk in the drive. This will place the Windows 98 operating system boot file back on the hard drive.
Dalphon

Postby Justice » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am

Put the windows 98 disk in and type setup.exe at the command prompt. If you are seeing a menu, select boot from cdrom. Follow the instructions. It may be that your hard drive had a mechanical failure and in this case, windows wont even see the drive and wont install.
Justice

Postby Ordwin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:52 am

"Disk Boot Failure" isn't a message you pick for to discover at boot up. There are quite a few issues you're able to desire to do. 1st., you point out which you have yet another gadget (hopefully with internet get entry to). you will desire to create a bootable floppy and upload the report CHKDSK.exe to the bootable floppy. Then insert the floppy into the undesirable gadget and CD C: and run the checkdisk by way of typing chkdsk.exe. in case you could no longer get entry to the C: force in any respect one in all 3 issues would desire to be undesirable. the two the partition table, grasp boot checklist, or the no longer common force itself is undesirable. in case you do no longer comprehend the above you're able to desire to take the gadget to a restoration save or bypass purchase a sparkling HD and setting up it yet you will would desire to format and partition the recent force and reinstall your working device and different application. IT appears like on your case you will desire to take the gadget to a repaire save except this is and previous gadget and not woth the cost. As for placing the boot order interior the BIOS you could examine that by way of hitting the delete or F1 key after the BIOS runs its startup examine and you will see a row of tabs around the authentic as quickly as interior the BIOS. hit enter on the 1st tab and you will desire to work out something like "boot order" and CD would desire to be 1st, then 2nd is floppy and final is HDO. to alter the order use the internet site up or internet site down keys to internet site interior the path of the concepts. you could set the 1st besides as HDO yet then it won't boot out of your CD or FLOPPY except your HD is undesirable which on your case it would desire to be.
Ordwin

Return to Legacy Windows