Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Is Windows 8 A Good Operating System, I Hear Sales Are Soft?

Windows 8 Discussion

Postby Morell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Got a new HP LT with W8....what a horror! Don't buy one.

HP will not allow a downgrade to W7. In other words-if you get one- "you are stuck with it".
Morell

Postby Adir » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Okay for tablets, rubbish for laptops and desktops but it is down to opinion. Everyone I knows despises it.
Adir

Postby Setanta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:55 am

It's selling about as fast as Windows XP did. http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-is-the-ne...

To put that in perspective, Windows XP support will end in about a year and that OS is still running on 38% of the world's computers. It wasn't until last year that Windows 7 finally overtook XP as the dominate OS in the world. Win 7 was released 3 years ago in October of 2009.

It's not that Windows 8 sales are soft. It's mostly due to the fact that computer sales are soft. Folks in the business were pinning their hopes on Windows 8 to raise their fortunes after it was predicted that they were going to sink. When it didn't happen Windows 8 was blamed. People have short memories, it seems. For example, anyone who ever used Microsoft Bob would know that it was much worse than Windows 8.

Anywho, Windows 8 is a stable OS. It'll run all your Windows 7, Vista, and most XP software. I've got games that are nearly 10 years old that work fine on 8.

The Windows 8 interface is mostly like 7's with the exception of the start screen. A lot of people don't like the replacement for the start menu. It's not really a problem anymore though. There are over a dozen start menu replacements out for Windows 8 and most of them are free. http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/a-l...

If you find you don't like the start screen then simply download a start menu and you'll be back in business.

- Dominic
Setanta

Return to Windows 8