Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Will Apple Airport Express Allow Me To Setup A Wireless Network In My Dorm?

Peripherals Discussion

Postby Tristram » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Basically everywhere on campus is wireless except for my res hall and it drove me crazy last year. Since I'll be living in the same place this year I'm hoping to set up a wireless network. I saw Apple Airport Express on Amazon.com and it looked easy enough to set up a wireless connection for my mac but I'd appreciate any suggestions if this is the right product for me or not. Also could I make a secure connection that requires a password using Airport Express?? Thanks!!
Tristram

Postby Murchadh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 am

Just make sure you check with the IT staff at your college to see if you are allowed to use a wireless router and if it is even technically possible on their network.
Murchadh

Postby Braddock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Don't get the Express, it's not really meant to be used like a traditional router. It's more for travel and music streaming and is slower and more expensive than what you could get elsewhere.

I suggest you go to Newegg.com and pick out a WiFi router there. You can get a pretty good one for half the price of the Airport Express. For example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023 is a nice router made by ASUS. It's pretty cheap, has a USB port to connect printers and other peripherals, and lets you set up WPA2 encryption to protect your wireless network.

Here's what you need to do to secure your network: First, connect to the router by an ethernet cable. When you make configuration changes it is not wise to be on wireless. When you get everything connected, open a web browser and in the address bar type in "192.168.1.1" without the quotes. This will take you to the router's configuration page. Enter the default username and password to get in (this should be written in the manual or on the bottom of the router). Now you can change the router's settings. To secure the router, you need to change the SSID (the name of your WiFi network), enable WPA2 encryption, and change the default username and password that you use to log in to the config page. This is all pretty easy to do, and I think there might be a setup wizard to help you do this when you first log in. After you finish with this you can close the web browser and disconnect the ethernet cable between your computer and the router. Now open Airport Utility, choose your SSID, type in your WPA2 password, and go online!

However if you must have an Apple-branded router then get the Airport Extreme or Time Capsule. Don't bother with the Express. The only real advantage Apple routers offer is the ability to set them up through the Airport Utility on your Mac, instead of a web browser.
Braddock

Postby Coire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Airport Express can be used for macs and pc's!

All you need to is go to your Applications folder, Utilities, Airport setup assistant... and it will guide you through the setup and security
Coire

Return to Peripherals