Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Why is my wireless connection so slow on my new desktop pc with windows 7?

Desktop Discussion

Postby colley » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:14 pm

I recently have just built a custom pc and installed it with windows 7 home premium. For my internet i bought a TP link 150Mbs wifi dongle (TP WN723N) to connect to my BT home hub 2. However despite being a better rated dongle than what was being used on my old laptop, the internet speeds i am getting are terrible. Also, the dongle that i used previously on my laptop obtained a speedtest.net dload speed of 11-12Mb/s yet even when i put that in my new pc, I get around 1Mb/s which is really frustrating.

Ive searched for numerous answers but cant seem to find any, its just odd that from my laptop to my new pc.. my dload rates change even with the same dongle. could the operating system be an answer? win xp = laptop. win7 = pc

anyone have any ideas?
colley

Postby ohcumgache » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:19 pm

The most common problem is signal interference. Being on a desktop you now have different characteristics involved in radiowave propagation (keeping in mind that wireless devices are just little radios that both trasmit and receive). One key to any radio is the Antenna - the one you have selected was not meant for the purpose in which you are using it (all advertising aside, of course).

To prove this unfortunately you would have to move the desktop into the same room and close to the wireless device and see if all is now well. If so, you have proven my point - wrong device or antenna for the job.

Keep in mind that wireless radio signals are fragile and a highly competitive frequency for wireless handsets on phones, cell phones, bluetooth devices, baby monitors, microwave ovens and a thousand more common things around the average home that makes wireless a nightmare in performance.

It isn't just signal strength as much as is is about clarity of the signal. If you have ever listened to an AM radio station and the static on it then you have to keep in mind that same static exists in the air on many frequencies most specifically the current WiFi range the FCC has allocated. That being the case you will have to use range extenders / wireless amplifiers or strategically place your devices for best performance in your environment.

This is usually no magic here - the signal can reach you and is both strong + clear, or it isn't.
ohcumgache

Postby julius » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:30 pm

There is no obvious reason why this should be happening.
Certainly Windows 7 is capable of good download speeds and is better set up out-of-the-box for broadband than XP is.

Maybe reset the tcpip parameters to the default settings:
See instructions at this Microsoft help page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
There is a "fixit" tool and a manual method described.

Also - is the new PC maybe a lot further away from the router - or just in a different room? That can make a huge difference. Or is the new PC perhaps shielded behind something that might be blocking the wireless signals?
julius

Postby ashenford1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm

There is no obvious reason why this should be happening.
Certainly Windows 7 is capable of good download speeds and is better set up out-of-the-box for broadband than XP is.

Maybe reset the tcpip parameters to the default settings:
See instructions at this Microsoft help page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
There is a "fixit" tool and a manual method described.

Also - is the new PC maybe a lot further away from the router - or just in a different room? That can make a huge difference. Or is the new PC perhaps shielded behind something that might be blocking the wireless signals?
Well, two excellent answers already. Are you sure that your PC is connecting to your own home hub and not somebody else`s, or even BT FON? My set up sometimes does that for no apparent reason on start up and as a result the connection is less than 2 Meg instead of the usual 15 Meg and I have to click on the internet symbol bottom right of the screen and force it to use my home hub 2.
You can find out the wireless network name and wireless key of your home hub by looking for a sticker on it, or from the credit card sized thing that came with it. Here is how to connect to a network, see connect computer to the router, you may need to reset your router to enable the new wifi dongle to be added to it;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/set-up-a-wireless-router
Have you run the BT hub set up CD on your new computer?
Microsoft have a website that is good for identifying and helping you fix wireless problems, but it is more for connection problems than speed, might be worth a look though;
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx
I think that your speed problem is not connected to Windows 7, or the N dongle, so it must be the connection PC to your hub.
Regards, Bert.
ashenford1

Return to Desktops