Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Why Ubuntu (linux)? Not Vista (windows)?

Windows Vista Discussion

Postby Plat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:25 am

The way I see it, Vista (like most other versions of Windows) is an OS which doesn't make the most efficient use of your computers' resources.

A really good example of this is in the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Take a look at a Vista desktop while using the Aero interface; now compare that to a similar computer running most versions of Linux while using Compiz Fusion. You'll find that the Compiz Fusion/Linux computer not only does the same things as Vista/Aero, but even does a few things Vista can't even touch right now.

Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5Oz...

Now think about this: my laptop doesn't have enough resources to run Vista/Aero, but it can do exactly what you saw in that video link (I'm using Debian linux with Compiz). Doesn't that tell you that Vista wasn't designed nearly as well? Why does Vista need nearly twice the computer power to not even do all the same things?

Another thing: there are a lot of devices which have problems working with Vista right now, and it's because of the drivers. Windows people usually say that Linux is inferior because of the same reason, but now Vista's got (some) of those same those problems. Vista users will tell you that it's not Vista's fault (and, yes, they are right), but when we say the same thing about Linux everyone says we're making excuses. Funny how I haven't been hearing those Linux driver criticisms ever since Vista started having its own driver problems...

And what about games? Well, Windows definitely has more games available than Linux, but that's not because Linux can't handle them (look at that video again and try to tell me with a straight face that Linux can't do it). The real problem is that the companies aren't even trying to make the games for Linux. That's not a real problem, though, for 2 reasons: (1) there really are games available for Linux, including FPS games and even flight simulators - all you have to do is use Google, and the games are free; and (2) there are going to be games and other software that have no Linux equivalent, so you can run something called Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) or Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) which will run most of those games and apps on Linux (personally I believe Virtualbox is much better because you can run Windows XP, Vista, or any other OS inside of Linux, and Wine won't run *all* the Windows apps).

The best thing about it is that you can get all of this and it won't cost you $200 and you may not even have to buy the most expensive computer out there.
Plat

Postby Anscomb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:37 am

Linux sucks go with Vista.
Its the best money can buy.
Anscomb

Postby Bannruod » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:20 am

just use xp.
vista still has bugs in it.
ubuntu is for people who know what they are doing, and if you are asking that kind of question, then you dont know what you are doing.
Bannruod

Postby Norberto » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 am

because vista is a little bad.. (long story short)
Norberto

Postby Dalon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 am

One, it is free.

Two, it does not take 4GB of ram to run.

Three, no spyware or viruses

Four, free Open Office instead of Office 2007$$
Dalon

Return to Windows Vista