Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Why Do People Consider Norton A Bad Antivirus Program?

Windows 2000 and Earlier (Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 95)

Postby Chuck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:26 am

First it is VERY slow updating its' virus database. Second they pay little attention to being able to remove an infection after it get into the machine trusting that it will never allow this to happen. Obviously for a program not being updated fast enough that means a new infection can have a few days to infect the machine while it is not known to the database, then when it is known it often can NOT remove it. It may also not recognise the infection when it is in. I have NEVER been able to get Norton to remove any serious spyware. It also has a habit of giving up on an infection of a security setting on the machine makes it difficult to remove, and resort to popping up warning messages continuously in stead. Also if you use the Norton firewall it often starts popping up warnings that it has prevented so many attacks from the Internet. Considering any machine on the Internet can be suffering as many as 2000 attacks in a hour from a hacking script (which I regularly see on public server log files, as many as three tines a day), this is neither useful nor correct behaviour. Any other sensible firewall just sits there all day dumping these attacks as that is what it is for!!!

I ever see those problems on machines running any of the major free anti-spyware/virus programs and relying on the ordinary Windows firewall. And I see far less infections as all these tend to update within a day of a new infection release. They also seem to manage to remove anything that slipped though by doing a scan in safe mode.
Chuck

Postby Heortwiella » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 pm

It slows down your computer quite a bit and doesn't have amazing detection of malware for its price.
Heortwiella

Postby refr » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:52 pm

refr

Postby Yeung » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:46 pm

It's pretty bloated, and it seems to work very slowly compared with others.

It also costs money. :)

I've been using Avast! free anti-virus for years now. It's free, and I've never had an infection, so I'm sticking with it.
Yeung

Postby Tawnya » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:28 am

Because it interferes too much with the users use of their computer, and one that happens - people get into the habit of disabling it so that they can actually use their computer because it makes it soo slow.

And a disabled Anti-Virus is as good a no anti-virus - Back in the day, it was a good solution, which I advised extensively in industry - but there are better options now.
Tawnya

Postby Robby » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:11 am

It is very un user friendly. And scans when it wants.....not when you tell it to. Its like Skynet.
Robby

Return to Legacy Windows