Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Whole Home Audio Speaker Wire Question?

Home Audio & Video Discussion

Postby Achazia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:26 pm

I recently purchased a home and discovered behind some of the blank wall plates in my living room and basement walls there is speaker wire.
Now this would all make sense and be great if the wire were to run behind the locations intended for media but they all seem to run to a junction box in the kitchen.
So would this be set up for more of a whole home audio/bluetooth in-wall system? If so what are some good options for bluetooth in-wall mounts that I could utilize bluetooth on my iPhone to transmit music to the speakers?
Achazia

Postby CIywd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Simple answer...forget about the wiring and just get a blue tooth speaker for each room needed.

More expensive answer...buy a receiver and an impedance compensated speaker switch and speakers for each room (and volume controls).
Wire it all up and use your iphone to send music to the receiver.
CIywd

Postby MacDuff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 pm

First of all.... "Blue Tooth" technology does not use wires.

If anything the wires you found are for speakers like you mentioned or for data (RJ48) or telephone (RJ11)....
Never the less you will probably see some kind of labeling on the wires like numbers or colors... Simply go to the other boxes in your house and see if the same color codes or numbers apear there.... If yes, than you can use them to wire speakers away from the receiver/amp.

If you want to transmit music from your phone to the receiver your receiver must be blue tooth enabled.
If not you will need a bluetooth device with a line level output which could plugged into the aux port of your receiver.

You will need a device like this that will connect to your receiver and plugs into your aux port.
You will need a patch cable (mini jack to RCA or what ever kind of port is on your receiver..
http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-BlueGate-...

Please call Amazon tech support to validate my application for this device before you purchase.
MacDuff

Postby Erland » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Your system has nothing to do with Bluetooth. The information you give is so incomplete as to make it impossible to help you.
Erland

Postby Dadgayadoh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 am

I wouldn't go with a receiver, they make whole house systems that already have multiple zones with amplifiers that don't need the impedance matching etc.
Since all the speaker wires come together in one place I would go with Sonos Zone players.
You can get these with the amplifiers built in, you just need one player for each pair of speakers or each zone.

Nice thing about Sonos is that you can control it with your iPhone, or other smart phone or tablet.
You can play the same music in every room or different music in every room.
You can get a network HHD to put all your music on and play from that source or any number of other options like Internet Radio, Pandora etc.

Sonos...
http://www.sonos.com/

One question would be... do you know where the other ends of these speaker wires go? Are there speakers there already or do you need to install those? If there are not speakers there already then you may want to just put a Sonos player in each room that already includes speakers and not bother with the existing wires.

mk
Dadgayadoh

Return to Home Audio & Video