Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Which Used Camcorder Should I Get?

Camcorders Discussion

Postby ciardha86 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi,

I am looking to get a used camcorder to shoot to short films this sumer. I am on a very small budget and have come down to 2 cameras in my price range. Please tell me which is better in your ionion and why, like quality etc

I am looking at the Canon Vixia HF301 (refurbished) and the Canon HV30 or HV40.

I realise the HV models allow for tape but also use SD cards. I have a very good laptop so I am not concerned with the HD being Too god to edit. THanks SOOOO Much!

Easy 10 points
ciardha86

Postby Kailene » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Need to know the context. Canon (and other brands) use SD to refer to 720 x 480 video, Standard Def.

And Canon and others, including the HVseries, uses SD (MiniSD) memory cards to capture STILL photos only. You can not record video (HDV or DV) to the card...only to the MiniDv tape.

This is a good series, the HDV/DV is about the best video you can get for the money, but you will need a computer with the horsepower and firewire connections to download the video.

BTW, I just read some of the HV40 reviews. WOW is all I can say. I didn't realize there were so many people incapable of reading system requirements and researching their purchases. These are outstanding cameras, provided you can follow simple instructions.
Kailene

Postby Conwy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:24 pm

I would suggest to get Canon VIXIA HV40 HD HDV Camcorder

HDV format delivers high-definition video to miniDV tape

Genuine Canon 10x HD video lens; SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer

DIGIC DV II image processor; 24p Cinema Mode, 30p Progressive Mode
Conwy

Postby Riku » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:54 pm

the Canon HV series only records video to miniDV tape. when the feature sheet says "SD mode" they mean standard definition miniDV, not SD memory cards. if you must have SD card recording, then pick the Vixia, but the HVs will produce superior video, SD or HD.
Riku

Return to Camcorders