Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Which Professional Digital Cameras Should I Get?

Digital Cameras Discussion

Postby Elwin » Sun May 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Congratulations on your child studying photography.

I must say this and probably disillusion you a bit.
Your child does NOT need a professional camera right now.
What your child needs is a good camera that mimics a professional camera that also has features and options and lens availability for the future purchases.

Let me suggest a reasonably bprices camera: the Nikon D80 and the recommended lens would be, the Nikkor AF DX 18-135mm lens.
The camera mimics the pro-level Nikon D200 at a great savings, and it is a robust camera (doesn't feel like a toy in one's hands); the lens has great optics for great image detail quality and is very versatile, too.
In a couple of years, when your child is ready for a pro level camera, you can get a newer model and still use the lenses your child will have accumulated (and you won't have to be buying other lenses).

I have about 44 years in photography and I can assure you that a student will not learn faster or more on an expensive camera anymore than a carpentry student will not learn more or faster with an expensive hammer.
What the person needs is the abailability of certain features, functions and options that are common in very expensive pro level cameras and the lesser expensive cameras popular amongst avid photographers (lens interchangeability, aperture control, shutter speed control, ISO control, etc).
Save the money for other gear, such as a good sturdy tripod, a good and reliable strobe, a good printer, photographic paper and archival inks, etc.
Good luck and best wishes.
Elwin

Postby Randale » Sun May 14, 2017 6:31 pm

There are only two camera manufacturers you should consider.
Canon and Nikon.
Over 80% of the pros use these cameras because for over 50 years they have been the two companies that have supplied consistently superior cameras and lenses that are affordable.

Before you buy have your child actually hold some of the models available at your local stores and see which one fits his/her hands the best.
While it is not unheard of for someone to switch camera manufacturers in the middle of a career, it is rare.

You will hear the Canon vs. Nikon argument until you may want to scream.
Truth is, they are both exceptional cameras and will give a lifetime of service to your child.

Take a look at the link below to see what is offered at this time by the makers of digital cameras.
Randale

Postby Conlen » Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Canon EOS range is good
Conlen

Postby Enrikos » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 am

If you kid is just studying photography, I would suggest that a professional digital camera is the very last thing he/she needs. In fact, I would purchase a basic, no frills analogue camera where all the settings have to be made manually so she/he learns what all the functions of a camera are. How often do you see on this board questions from people who have brought a high end camera like 'what is aperture'?, what is the purpose of shutter speeds'? All those kinds of things should be learned and and become second nature before moving on to some high-end, all bells and whistles, camera.
Enrikos

Return to Digital Cameras