Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Which Linux operating system is best for me? Explain Why.?

Linux Discussion

Postby felicio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm

I am a beginner in Linux operating system. I don't know much about Linux OS. I just know that it is free. I want a Linux operating system that looks and feels like windows and supports all the windows programs. I am basically going to use it for school projects and homework. And I will play online games like agames.com etc.. I will also use it to see YouTube videos. Please explain why the operating system is good for me. I want a nice looking Linux operating system. I am going to install it on a desktop.

felicio

Postby sahale » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Try Ubuntu - it's fast and absolutely easy to install. Tons of apps are available for free via Ubuntu Software Center.
sahale

Postby haji » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:53 pm

"looks and feels like windows and supports all the windows programs"
Linux will not support all windows programs. May look like windows but Linux is a whole different type of operating system.

" for school projects and homework."
This will be ok using Libre Office just remember to save in microsoft format.
I have used PuppyLinux and ubuntu for university.

"Please explain why the operating system is good for me. I want a nice looking Linux operating system."
Linux will teach you how computers work and are good for programming.
You can make the desktop look how you want because there are 6 different windows managers, so you can look like a mac or windows or something totally different with no start menu or icons, just a right click for options.

You can do a frugal install or use the ubuntu wubi install file and you can have both windows and linux.
Because there are no licencing issues you can install on to a usb flash as well.
haji

Postby wyatt36 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Ubuntu 12.1. Easy to install. Easy to use.
wyatt36

Postby ruodrik91 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm

LinuxMint is my favorite. Based on Ubuntu, but without the funny interface. It's menu driven like windoze, but of course faster and safer.
Or try Zorin. Or Bodhi. Or any of the 300 others at the link below.
ruodrik91

Postby garwyn87 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:17 pm

All of them because it is only user preference. It does not work with all Window Programs. I would stay away from Bodhi and consider Mint Linux, Zorin Linux, Peppermint Linux and a few others that are remasters of Ubuntu. Why is because they will generally install the proprietary hardware and software drivers for the user automatically making it more Run Out Of The Box type of Linux, ready to go and use. Gaming, I would keep Windows and install Linux dual boot. You won't really find it like Windows but once you get use to it, you may find you hardly every use Windows except when you need to use software that Linux does not have.
garwyn87

Return to Linux