Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What You Get Out Of Learning Java?

Android Discussion

Postby Celyddon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently learning Java! Finding it ok etc and moving foward at a nice pace! I've searched the internet for stuff Java is used for! I'd like to eventually get qualification in Java and start looking for jobs as I enjoy learning and programming it!

What I can't answer is how is Java used in a workplace? is it more for programming software (like word, ie, chrome etc) or programming for hardware (like microwaves, fridges, maybe cars etc)

Does anyone work with Java like this?

Is it worth getting into for a job?
Celyddon

Postby Korey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 am

here is what you get:

$$$$

Go to a job search board, such as Indeed or Dice for examples. Leave the location out, input the keyword Java.

At Indeed there are Jobs 68,889 job descriptions today with that skill cited. Yes, you may be at the junior level at the beginning.

Meanwhile look at this:

Salary Estimate

$50,000+ (61231)

$70,000+ (43064)

$90,000+ (21753)

$110,000+ (9380)

$130,000+ (4113)

There are other skills that will compliment your java. So look at the job description skills combinations now and match those with what you like doing. It is easier to get good at what you like.

If you were a stock and developing meaningful Java skills, I would take 100 shares right now.

You may choose a sub-specialty down the road. You mention cars, microwaves, etc. Again what you like to do comes in to play here. Just throwing a dart, how about Healthcare or banking?
Korey

Postby Ferrell » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:41 am

Java is used in a LOT of places.

Most visibly, Java is used as pure software, either as server side applications such as web sites, or as desktop applications.

The big thing right now is the Android platform, which is written almost entirely in Java.

At one point, I know Java was used in appliances such as Blu-ray players and televisions, but I'm not sure how accurate that is anymore.

Long story short, Java is used in many, MANY places.
Ferrell

Postby Sem » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:34 am

In my point of you (IT student btw) Java is more of a programming for software. I've encountered many programs that use JAVA as their programming language. So yeah, that's it.
Sem

Postby Ferehar » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 am

In the Enterprise it's used for a lot of server side apps. Look up J2EE.
Ferehar

Postby akim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Java isn't used much. It is hyped a lot but used very little. Many companies do without Java entirely, since it is full of security holes.

You might want to learn a language that has more widespread applications, like C or C++.
akim

Return to Android