Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What Wireless Usb Adapter Should I Get?

Networking & Wireless Discussion

Postby Adamik » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:55 pm

So, I need a wireless USB adapter for my desktop PC and I want one for no more than $30, but from searches I see a decent range of prices. Should I go cheap or a bit more expensive? What are the positives of the more expensive ones? I will probably go with about a $20 one, but I would still like to know the facts about it. And I don't care about brand, just price really. Thanks!
Adamik

Postby Eri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am

Both of these are the exact same thing except one major difference, one of made to fit into a PCI slot inside a computer and is much bigger. A USB one will normally just plug into a free available USB slot and your operating system will install it and it is usable straight away (some less popular branded usb adapters will need drivers installed manually). I would recommend the USB one as it can be easily switched between computers/laptops and they come in different sizes, and some have bluetooth and ability for External antennas.
Eri

Postby adoerte38 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 am

IMPORTANT: What kind of router are you looking to connect to? IF it has "N" wireless (if its older, it probably wont. New N routers are around 100 bucks or more) then get an N adapter for 10x the speed of G (which most routers are right now).

G: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3529100&CatId=2688

HALF PRICE :P

MY RECOMMEND!

N: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3970955&CatId=2692

Sabrent is an underrated brand. I use a wireless N card from them to get blazing speeds. For only 30 bucks its a steal.

Also, you don't always get what you pay for. Research and ask questions. tigerdirect has many reviews from actual buyers so you know what to expect. DONT GET SHAMMED!
adoerte38

Postby Chisholm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 pm

There's a saying that's been true for a very long time..."You get what you paid for". Enough said. You pay $20 for a USB adapter, you'll get a $20 USB adapter! It won't perform or last like a $30 or more USB adapter! Good luck!
Chisholm

Return to Networking & Wireless