Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What is the highest degree you can get in education that is appropriate for a middle or high school teacher?

Email Software Discussion

What is the highest degree you can get in education that is appropriate for a middle or high school teacher?

Postby dubhgml » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 am

D. Ed. and/or Ph.D.
Pay is higher for doctorates.
Most teachers get a master's degree.
There are some easy degrees out there that teachers take just for the pay grade but there are also some very good degree programs.

Many teachers start work with a bachelor's degree and get higher degrees later. Often, they can get financial help in taking these new degrees then. Teachers also have to take courses for re-certification.
The smart thing is to take courses that also count toward a degree.

Also look at what courses you take to be sure that you are getting those that will give you certifications. I have a master's degree plus 30 more hours and I chose those course so that I am certified in four areas. Two of these areas are very highly sought after.

Watch that! Lots of call for science, math, and areas of special ed and sometimes foreign language and ESOL. Fewer openings for PE, social studies in most places.

Decide where you want to work, find out certification requirements and job outlook for teachers in that state, and then choose degrees and majors.
dubhgml

Postby dong-sun93 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 am

D. Ed. and/or Ph.D.
Pay is higher for doctorates.
Most teachers get a master's degree.
There are some easy degrees out there that teachers take just for the pay grade but there are also some very good degree programs.

Many teachers start work with a bachelor's degree and get higher degrees later. Often, they can get financial help in taking these new degrees then. Teachers also have to take courses for re-certification.
The smart thing is to take courses that also count toward a degree.

Also look at what courses you take to be sure that you are getting those that will give you certifications. I have a master's degree plus 30 more hours and I chose those course so that I am certified in four areas. Two of these areas are very highly sought after.

Watch that! Lots of call for science, math, and areas of special ed and sometimes foreign language and ESOL. Fewer openings for PE, social studies in most places.

Decide where you want to work, find out certification requirements and job outlook for teachers in that state, and then choose degrees and majors.
Unfortunately, there has been "credential inflation" among Middle/High School teachers. Far too many get bogus Master's and "Doctorates" (EdD or DEd). This is driven solely by teacher union contracts, which reward graduate degrees regardless of whether they actually improve teaching.
dong-sun93

Return to Email Software