Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What is the best reasonably priced home audio system for a living room to use with my television?

Home Audio & Video Discussion

What is the best reasonably priced home audio system for a living room to use with my television?

Postby belden » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 am

I would like to FINALLY upgrade to a blu-ray player and figured I may as well get one with a home audio system so I can have surround sound. I would love to have a wireless set up for the speakers to cut down on cords going every which direction. I saw that Rocketfish has a back speaker wireless set up for $109, but you can only hook 2 speakers up to it. I'm definitely not an audiophile and have no idea what I'm looking at. We have a 60" flat screen with not much room to place the speakers. I don't like the tower speakers because they look bulky. I've heard the new sound bars are good, but our living room is pretty big and I'm not sure that would get the job done. I'm on a bit of a budget and was HOPING to stay around $200 (less is even better) if possible and then if I didn't get one with wireless capabilities I could always get some kind of adapter (like the Rocketfish wireless speaker system) later on. Any ideas or information is appreciated! Thank you!
belden

Postby matthew » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

Nothing to recommend in that price range save your money and get something reputable, and of high quality... I would recommend the Pioneer VSX 521 or 821 AV receiver and the Energy Take classic 5.1 speaker system that is about as inexpensive as I'm willing to recommend; there is also the Onkyo HT S3400 around your price range but the speakers are kinda week in that system, and so the Energy speaker set is preferred for better sound quality...
matthew

Postby adiran85 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:09 am

The box systems where the BluRay drive is mounted in a skinny receiver and it has cheap plastic speakers attached are kind of crappy. Dont get me wrong - they DO play disks. But we get 20+ whiny posts here per week when people try to do something like get 5.1 sound from their TV and discover what they gave up for the $299 price tag.

These system are also horrible because you cannot upgrade. BluRay has gone through at least 4 generations and you cannot upgrade the BluRay player on these box systems.

Go to Amazon and search for "Onkyo Home Theater" and you will find several systems with a full-sized AV receiver and a self-powered subwoofer.

Then you can add any on-sale BluRay player you want to this system.

Trust me - save your money until you can afford a good, basic system.
adiran85

Return to Home Audio & Video