Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What is the best e-book reader? Kindle or Nook? If it is the Kindle, so which one?

E-Book Readers Discussion

What is the best e-book reader? Kindle or Nook? If it is the Kindle, so which one?

Postby darin84 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 pm

I read books too many and want to move forward from hard covers to electronic versions. I always buy from Amazon.
darin84

Postby broderic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Since you always buy from amazon, the choice is obvious. You need a Kindle.

Which one is the best depends on what you want to use it for and what your preferences are.

First, there is a massive difference between the Kindle Fires and the other Kindles. The Kindle Fires are NOT e-readers. They are e-tablets. That means you can use them for going online, watching videos or using apps. However, they're not very good for reading books because of the backlit screen. Reading books is just not its primary purpose. If that's what you want, then go for the Kindle HD. Unless money is not an issue. In that case, you might as well go for the Ipad which has all the best features and the widest range of apps.

If however you plan to use it primarily for reading books, then the other kindles are the better choice. They have the e-ink technology which makes the screen look exactly like a printed page. They are not backlit and therefore will not hurt your eyes anymore than reading a normal book would.

If you want an e-reader, here are your choices of Kindles:
Kindle: pretty straightforward. Basically just has buttons to select the book you want to read and turn the pages.
Kindle Touch: Same as the original Kindle but with a touch screen. No buttons, you just use your fingers. I personally hate touch screens, so I do not recommend this one.
Kindle Keyboard: that' my personal favourite. It's like the regular kindle, but with a keyboard that allows you to take notes. If you get it with 3G, you'll also find the keyboard helpful for internet browsing.
The Paperwhite: it's the latest Kindle. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't really know how good it is. It promises sharper contrasts, a whiter page (the other kindles look sort of greyish) and has a built in light around the edges that you can turn on to read in the dark. (I personally have a light on my Kindle Keyboard cover, so I'm not particularly interested in that.)

Another question is whether to get them with or without 3G. The Kindles are limited when it comes to online browsing. Being black and white obviously doesn't help, but you'll also find that the screen does not accommodate internet pages very well and scrolling up and down is annoying. However, it's good enough for some light browsing (ie a quick google search or buying books off amazon or writing a quick message on your favourite forums). Personally, I have 3G and I use it for that light browsing. Another option I think is worth getting is paying extra for the special offer free version. It means you won't have to read ads at the bottom of the page.
broderic

Postby rollo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Since you are an Amazon buyer, Kindle is the best option you have.

Comments from an owner of both devices:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RG63YHMKKC3W5/?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B007OZNZG0&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&nodeID=&tag=afkagrw-20

Kindle has pros like:
- Built-in Light
- Free cloud storage
- Great contrast for dark text
- Prime membership
- Better screen resolution

While Nook has pros like:
- Free in-store wifi
- ePub format support
- microSd slot

In case you choose Kindle, make sure you order ASAP if you want to get it before Christmas.

Bestselling Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OZNZG0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007OZNZG0&linkCode=as2&tag=afkagra-20
Bestselling Nook:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140053271X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=afkagra-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=140053271X
rollo

Postby wilf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:07 pm

i've heard good things about the nook, but i have a kindle keyboard and it's pretty wonderful. whichever one you get, be sure to get e-ink,that's what will make reading enjoyable. amazon owns kindle so if you always buy from them, it'll be cheaper to use a kindle.
wilf

Postby houghton » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I'd go for Kindle, really good one... I like it very much.

BTW, if your later looking for free kindle books you should check out http://kindlebooksonline.org, really good site for free kindle books.
houghton

Postby gianni » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Since your forté is buying from amazon, it seems a obvious choice. Also, nooks are basically run down android tablets.
gianni

Postby lauritz32 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Kindle fire HD. Make sure its the HD one and don't get the hue one. The smaller one does all the same things and is less expensive.
lauritz32

Postby cornelio » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Nook tablet! Kindle is nice, but I LOVE my nook tablet.
cornelio

Return to E-Book Readers