Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What Kind Of Laptop Should I Get?

PC Hardware Discussion

Postby wigmaere39 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 am

Hey everyone how's it going. Im looking for a new laptop cause the one I have right now is really really slow and has like no memory left LOL. I know I'm kinda lame but I am absolutely in love with the Sims 2 and the zoo tycoon 2 games; I have all the expansion packs for both. And I noticed when I got into my zoo tycoon the computer started getting slower, now its just not worth getting on to play games. So I'm looking for something that can handle my games. And I need to know how many GB's would I need; what's the best brand. Is it going to cost me extra for a built in webcam. Also I can only really afford 350-450at the max right now is that possible to find the computer I want for that price. I was told I need a disc drive that is 8x or faster and I don't even what that is. thank you and have a great night or day :)
wigmaere39

Postby Spalding » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 am

Macbook pro all the way!! :D
Spalding

Postby Danniel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

ASUS A53E-XE1 15.6-Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop - Dark Grey.Compact and light, the A53E-XE1 shows off a new streamlined design with ASUS Infusion Technology to give this notebook a scratch-resistant coat with eye-catching style. Opening this mobile wonder, you will notice a highly durable premium aluminum texture around the keyboard to retain the A53E-XE1 looks and quality even during extensive, prolonged use.
Danniel

Postby Edrik » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:10 am

Both the Sims 2 (or even 3) and Zoo Tycoon are not very demanding games in terms of system requirements.

Any modern PC (Windows) laptop, even one with just processor based, system shared memory (RAM), integrated graphics would run them with no problems.

Nevertheless I still recommend getting a laptop with dedicated card graphics (a GDDR3 or GDDR5 card) for other more demanding games you might wanna play, any other graphics demanding task such as video and image editing or even for better overall system performance.

Here is a good laptop for only $500: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

As general guides for buying a laptop,

To eliminate any doubts, MacBook laptops are way overpriced. They do look cool, but you are just paying for the name and the shinny box.

While Mac OS is safer, there are lots of things you will not be able to do with a Mac, as most gaming and other important software is created for PC only. To conclude: Macs are ridiculously expensive for what they offer in terms of hardware specs.

The Alienware line is also overpriced, and basically just nicer looking versions of Dell laptops.

When buying a laptop, your best value comes from Internet sellers such as Newegg, TigerDirect, CompUSA, Micro Center, Geeks.com, etc. Retailers usually charge more and offer less.

To settle the which brand is better dispute, remember that all laptops and parts are Made in China, no matter what their name is.

So in fact the brand (HP, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, Asus, etc), does not matter all that much. As far as brands go, only the support and info you get both before and after the sale matters. Dell support sucks. HP, Toshiba and Acer have excellent support. Don't know too much about Sony, Asus or Lenovo.

Only the hardware specifications can make a laptop better or worse than other laptops.

Get an Intel Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7 CPU (Processor). DO NOT GET AMD OR PENTIUM processors.

DO NOT GET Integrated Graphics (on board or from processor) - if it says Intel Graphics or Intel HD Graphics than it's Integrated graphics.

Make sure it has dedicated graphics (a Graphics Card or GPU) of at least 1GB. On a laptop with an Intel processor it should say either GeForce (nVidia) or Radeon (ATI).

For AMD processors and graphics it gets a little confusing, as they have the same name. Look for specs and see that it says dedicated graphics card.

For regular use with some moderate gaming an nVidia GeForce GT 520M or better graphics card would be perfect.

For more demanding gaming or video processing, at least an nVidia GeForce GT 550M or better is recommended.

Look here for a laptop graphics card chart: http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/...

Memory: Get at least 4GB of DDR3 RAM memory, you can go up to 8GB DDR3 RAM but it will cost you a little extra.

While SSD hard drives are best and fastest, they are way too expensive and small in size (64GB to 256GB), thus not recommended for a laptop, where you only have a single hard drive installed.

Get a normal, spin hard drive of at least 500GB (1TB or more is better, but will cost more). Seagate hard drives are the best, the WD Caviar are also OK.

Laptop should have an incorporated Webcam and Microphone on top of the screen (most laptops have them nowadays).

Make sure you have at least 4 USB ports (if one or more are USB 3.0 all the best, but USB 2.0 are OK).

The Firewire (IEEE 1394) and the e-Sata ports are good to have, but not mandatory. Same goes for HDMI or HDMI Mini.

At least a DVD/CD writer drive. A BD (Blue Ray drive) is more expensive and not necessary.

Of course you want WiFi (wireless) and ethernet connection.

Make sure it has at least a 6 cell battery (8 or even 10 cell is better, but will cost more). This will ensure better battery life, both between charges use and overall battery life.

Get the Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. Do not get Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic.

Here are some helpful tools: http://www.notebookcheck.net/

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Good luck.
Edrik

Return to PC Hardware