Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

What Are The Best Cameras To Get For Professional Website Pictures?

Digital Cameras Discussion

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Does anyone know of a really good camera you can buy which can take professional looking pictures?

At present I use a cheap digital camera to take pictures to put on my jewellery website, http://www.foodjewellerydirect.co.uk, but I'm not happy with the pictures.

I'm looking for something which isn't too expensive, but would allow me to get that really glossy look even on a non-white background.

Would I also need any other equipment and where would be the best place to buy them?
Perry

Postby Camden » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Depending on the budget, maybe look at an upper-level 'bridge' camera, which can be used to do all the work for you, but which can also be 'driven' by you if you want to learn how to do certain effects. Going a little higher up the scale look at DSLRs by Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, or Olympus. A DSLR would start you on the way towards a pro photo career, but always remember that it is the person using the camera who really makes the picture.
Camden

Postby bay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 am

Don't ditch your camera yet. Try these things:

1. Get loads (and loads) of light on your subject. This allows your camera to do a few things: Use a lower iso, which is 'cleaner' and doesn't need noise reduction, so will be sharper. If the scene is brightly lit the camera will default to a faster exposure, again sharper.

2. Put the camera on something and use the timer function. Camera shake from hand holding is hard to see but adversely effects your images. You can buy special bean bags and mini tripods to support the camera but a book or empty mug will do.

3. Set your camera to macro. Your camera will almost certainly have this feature. This allows your camera to focus very closely and sharply. This is one of the strong suits of compacts vs DSLRs, as Macro lenses are very expensive, but compacts can perform well in this area.

That should hugely improve your images (which aren't bad to begin with). If you're desperate to try another camera the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS40/DMC-FS45 is very good, shopping around you can pick these up at a frankly amazing price. The lens is 24mm and 2.5, so bright and wide, meaning you'll have a lot of frame to fill, and lens of this quality is not to be sniffed at, especially at this price point. You cannot go wrong with this camera.

Buy from a retailer where you can return if not satisfied.

Lastly, it's not a panacea, but using an editing program can give your images a degree of finish and pop that they otherwise lack.
bay

Postby Dwyer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 am

How long have you actually spent expermenting with the settings menu on that camera?

And once you HAVE the photos, load them onto your computer, and then set about editing them - you can do UTTER-MAGIC with editing software, which can turn a duff photo into a good one, and a good photo into a gem.
I've done a lot of 35mm film photography, and once that shutter clicks, you are stuck with the result, pretty-much.
The beauty of Digital, is that you can take hundreds of shots on different settings, trawl through them for the top 10% which stand-out, and THEN edit them to death.

A few years ago, I took a memory card into Tesco to have the photos on it burned onto a CD.
They also added a photo-editing package, for free.
It has since sat on my computer, and now any time that I connect my camera, it snaps itself awake, says "Relax Bro, I got dis" and imports them.
I can then edit every photo, I usually just slide one "Contrast" slider a little to the right, and one "Brightness" slider a touch to the left.
If I REALLY want to polish the photo, I can crop it, stretch it wide or tall, go into the "Colour Temperature" sub-menu and adjust the level of Red, Green and Blue, or even make it all black&white.
It's a VERY easy to use, instinctive package, and cost me next to n0thing.
Highly recommended.

eBay have digital cameras, and so does your supermarket.
Forty pounds gets you something useable, and what's your phone camera like, anyway? I've got a 2.5 year old Nokia X6, but the camera on it is really quite useful - just work on the settings, be patient, and you will have some results well worth tweaking.

(I still do some 35mm film shots now and then - Film work is an ART, even a drunken-m0nkey can take a pretty-g00d digital photo).
Dwyer

Postby Salbatore » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 am

Professional looking pictures need professional cameras, which come with professional prices. The main cost is in the lenses and optics.

You simply won't get the best results without using the best equipment.
Professional cameras are in a different league from the stuff you get in high street shops.
Salbatore

Postby Tyree » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm

The quality of your photos would certainly improve with a digital single lens reflex camera (DSLR), which uses higher quality lenses and allows you to focus and compose through the lens versus through a viewfinder. They can be pricey, based on the quality, so you'll have to shop around.

Here's the problem: the images you do take are probably pretty good, but posting images on a website requires you to do a couple of things. First, you have to use the JPEG format, which in and of itself is a bit problematic because it naturally compresses the original image into what's called a lossy format. Since you need to post images that will load fast, you often have to take smaller images or shrink them down to a smaller file size for faster loading. This can affect the image quality even more.

Unfortunately, web browsers support three graphics types: JPEG, GIF and PNG. The latter two are good for non-photographic images, so you really only have one choice, JPEG.

Here's what I would suggest before you spend a lot of money on equipment. First, when you take a photo with your camera, set the image quality to the highest or close to the highest you can. Most digital camers have the capability of setting various quality settings. The downside to this is that the images will come out very large, both in dimensions and file size. The upside is better detail and higher image quality (since you're compressing the images less).

Then use a photo editing program to make a copy of the image in a smaller scale and more compressed. You can then build your page with the smaller image, but have the larger on stitting on your web server for viewing. Make the smaller image clickable (like a thumbnail), and when the visitor clicks it, have the larger image open in a popout window in full size. This gives people the choice of whether or not they want to see the bigger image.

You can do this with an open source image application called the GIMP. It's free. http://www.gimp.org
Tyree

Postby Arlan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Before spending money on a different camera I would have a play around myself first.

Although your white image is nice, I think you need something that enhances your images a bit more. I would go for a softer colour like ivory.

Also I would do something with your products. They all seem to be lying flat on a white surface.

Go to any jewellery shop and you will see products hanging, decorate of different objects etc. Also you can see what light they use and colours.

Try to replicate that in your photos and than take lots and lots of images. Play around with the light and take photos from different angles.

Once you have done all that and you are still unhappy, then I would suggest going to a professional photographer and not investing in better equipment. As it is all about the eye and not about the camera you use!

good luck!
Arlan

Postby Smythe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:22 am

"professional looking pictures" are not produced by the camera being good, they are produced by the photographer being good.

I've looked at your pics, and they're not bad. If you want better, you really will have to hire a professional photographer.
Smythe

Postby Peppin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 am

To get a "professional looking picture" you need to hire a photographer who knows what he or she is doing. It's not the gear that makes a great photograph, it's the photographer.
Peppin

Postby Ernestino » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Anything Kodak, as Kodak are the best cameras in the world
Ernestino

Return to Digital Cameras