Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Vpn Connection Problems When More Than One User Is On The Same Server?

Mac OS X Discussion

Postby Xylon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm

None of our IT guys including me can figure out why our VPN connection will not allow more than one user to transfer files in a particular folder or location on our file server at a time. From what I can tell, we connect to a VPN server that then allows us to access our file server and other servers ect once connected.

We tested it at work for a few hours today and what happens is:

If more than one user is connected via VPN and is in the same parent folder on our file server and if one user tries to transfer a file to a folder that even one other user is currently connected to through VPN on that server, all users trying to do the same (to other files or folders) are faced with a typical red windows error message that the says "network is not found" or "network resource not found" but the user remains connected. Usually the user will have to try to copy or move the folder a few times for it to be successful. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. So far we have linked it to being if other connections are happening (even just one other) and if the data being copied, edited, or moved is more than 8mb. In some cases the user will be kicked out of that folder on windows explorer and will have to fire back up windows explorer and re-navigate to that folder.

Specifically the error is:

X "error copying file or folder"

"Cannot create or replace 2010-5-25: The specified network name is no longer available"

We found that files under 5 or 6mb can sometimes be accessed by more than one user but the trouble comes when transferring folders more than 5mb which is quite often.

I looked over their RRAS configuration and domain policy and couldn't find anything that stood out. This has been an ongoing problem for a few months now and nothing has really changed.

Whatever it is seems to be connection related since users can infact connect and stay connected, just they can't be in the same folder or directory as anyone else at the same time when trying to access files without the above problems. If no one else is connected, things seem to be fine. There are several hundred users that occasionally need to work from home and maybe between 2 and 5 connections at any one time so this is a significant annoyance.

Any ideas of where I should begin troubleshooting? or any info I can gather. I'm clueless on this and after an hour of google searching, I can't find anything similar. I could use any advice.

What other options within RRAS or windows active directory or domain policy should I check that deals with VPN connections and multiple users accessing the same folders at the same time ect. ?

So far our two main theories are that it could be a router issue (we can't access our nearest router since it's located outside our building and out of our control). We do have a basic 24 port netgear switch in our server room. Or it could be a firewall issue. Our firewall is a custom firewall programmed by one of the professors that only he knows ect. So i don't even know how to use that. If it were up to me I'd scrap it and get an industry recognized firewall for troubleshooting purposes.

P.S. I don't have access to our routers (none of us do since that is beyond our department and we just deal with our 200 local machines, users, and several servers.)

We also setup a new test server running windows server 2008 R2 and tried having two clients VPN into the same folder on both Windows XP and Windows 7 and the same issue comes up. This happens if you VPN inside the network and outside. Same thing happened when trying to VPN from my home too.

This is weird. Any ideas?
Xylon

Postby Ahtunowhiho » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 pm

I know you say there's a few of you, but still just possible that you have missed something.

Is the server sure that each VPN'er is a different person?

I have had two sittuations, each slightly different. But each to do with the signed key -

For example, you have a key -

public number - 12345

email address [email protected]

pass xyz123

I had one where the resulting private key was used alone, the first with that key was used, irrespective of the other data, it doesn't go further to see if there is another and the logs can suggest that nothing is wrong.

So users coming in when they are using the same key were the same person as far as the server was concerned, because obviously the user stuff has finished by the time they hit the server.

The other of that type that got me was actually a big name VPN router, it did the above with the key and password. You know what sales reps are like when it comes to passwords, they share them so they can get into each others accounts, generally ending up with one password for all reps. Well as far as this this vpn router was concerned they were all one person.

So, how about this. Create two entirely new keys for two users and ensure their passwords differ. Come in as those two users and see if access is back as it should be.

Remember though that your router may still be presenting seperate users as if one user, perhaps the innitial setup was to have a common share. This would deffinately do what you are saying, simply because the packets of requests and responses are coming from and going to different IPs, so any filesystem would tell them to sod off because one of them is clearly an IP sniffer.

Next is the share itself, I can't do much with this having not sat at a Windows server for a long enough time and being happy to forget. Gads I hate the way Windows does shares its never really worked but they were too stuborn to go for the UNIX/Linux style filesystems.
Remember the olden days when they put the share information inside the document itself, so if you lost the link to the server you lost the word or excel document too. Anyway I am guessing that each of you have gone through the levels, groups and user, to make sure that the users coming in, including the perceived user VPN user (if you do that sort of thing). I bet right now that shared folder has no security and all rights given away just in the hopes of getting the share working.

Except that, maybe only Linux does this, but you can give too many rights. A common example is with Apache, if you give say 777 access, then Apache will not let that folder go public. Simmilarly openssh, give 777 to the key files and nothing is going to happen, obviously no point having security if that which protects you is open to abuse. So in the Linux world freely giving security away will get you a slap off the OS, and rightly so.
Ahtunowhiho

Postby Maddog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 pm

We recommend using VPNPower to be able to unblock web sites. I have been using them since 5 years. http://www.vpnpower.net
Maddog

Return to Mac OS X