Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Upgrading Alienware X51 Video Card ?

Desktop Discussion

Postby Elan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:45 am

No.

The X51 has limited upgrade options because it has a proprietary external power supply (which cannot be upgraded) and a smaller chassis.
It's not as bad as traditional slimlines but the GTX 660 is pretty much it's ceiling.

If you want the option to install a GTX 680 or higher get a regular tower, not some compact design.
Elan

Postby Blayze » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:27 pm

nope dell alienware bs x51 is a piece of crap with a inflated price tag

restrictions of case

psu upgrade not enough tsx psus out there that can preform 300w never mind 400w

card size restrictions

overall cooling upgrading is limited

cheap effective case can go up to 5 fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

psu http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream-Mod...
Blayze

Postby Demarco » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 am

+one million to C guy. The X51 is basically a closed gadget. With that funky (and puny) exterior PSU, and that tiny case, you will no longer be upgrading something in there. i would not get one till i became one hundred% sparkling that this became going to be the wonderful that it may be. Ever. and that i became stable with that. If I had to get one, i might get the optimal plausible possibilities you may get for GPU, RAM, and CPU. and then its like seize 22 because you would be overpaying. i could build an identical "Steambox" that could wreck or a minimum of be severely greater effective for much less money. Plus i could continually improve my own build.
Demarco

Postby Harman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am

Alienware X51 Video Card
Harman

Postby Hillocke » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm

+1 to C man.
The X51 is essentially a closed system.
With that funky (and puny) external PSU, and that tiny case, you'll not be upgrading anything in there.

I wouldn't get one unless I was 100% clear that this was going to be the best that it could be.
Ever.

And I was good with that.

If I had to get one, I'd get the highest possible choices you can get for GPU, RAM, and CPU.
And then its like Catch 22 because you'll be overpaying.

I could build a comparable "Steambox" that would destroy or at least be significantly better for less money.
Plus I could always upgrade my own build.
Hillocke

Return to Desktops