Advertisments:

To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade?

PC Hardware Discussion

Postby Kyland » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

I have recently (less than 1 year ago) upgraded by PC to the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00 GHz

6 Gb Ram DDR2 (I think 800 Mhz)

Motherboard i think is the DQ45CB Intel board with integrated everything.

My question in short is:

If I upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit from my current Windows XP 32-bit, will I experience a drastic difference in processing ability of my PC? Obviously I am only interested if the processing ability will increase.

I am not a gamer and only use my PC for work purposes, this being said, I do use some RAM hungry programs such as Photoshop and ArcGIS which currently reduce my processing ability considerably when open.

I really do not care if the new OS looks better or does anything better that does not directly impact on the processing ability of my PC.
Obviously certain things like better registry management would be beneficial as I would be able to use the system for longer before having to do a complete system cleaning (i.e. format drive and start from scratch).

I have read many articles online regarding the two operating systems and see that most say that XP is better but usually these comparisons do not take the 32-bit to 64-bit change into account.

I have also done a compatibility check with win 7 and will not have to upgrade any of my hardware.

I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding this issue that you could provide.
Kyland

Postby Ander » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 pm

64 bit os is made for ppl that have over 4gb ram and is better optimized for quad cores or more. so yeah it will work alot better

there is 64bit XP but its unstable and not very good

win7 is as fast as XP and with 64 bit it will be alot faster :P

XP is good ofc i love xp but i cant let win7 search function go. in XP you have it on your desktop or all programs. but i have not one icon on my desktop and i search for everything :p type the name press enter and it starts, simple as that ,and so much faster then xp xD
Ander

Return to PC Hardware