Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Some Questions For An Experienced Pc Builder.?

Mac OS X Discussion

Postby Geary » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 am

I have searching around for a while trying to get an idea of what I am going to build lately and I've always had a budget of $1000. (Excluding the OS and Monitor) As it currently stands here is my (Soon to be) build.

i5 3570K ? $227 from PCDIY or MSY

Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO ? $34 from PCDIY or MSY

8GB KIT 1600 Kingston Hyper-X ? $43 from MSY

1TB Westen Digital Blue ? $76 from PCDIY

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ? $135 from PCDIY or MSY

Radeon HD 7870 Saphire O/C ? $245 from PCDIY or MSY

NZXT 410 Phantom White ? $128 from PCDIY

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ? 79$ + $13 Postage from PC CASE GEAR

Samsung SATA DVD Optical Drive ? $19 from PCDIY

Total at best possible prices ? $999

As you can see it fits right into my budget but I'll get to the questions now. I think I should, as many people have suggested, invest in a SSD but there doesn't seem to be any room for one in my budget. I don't need to have massive storage, 64GB I think would be fine for what I will store on it. (OS and a few programs and games I most frequently run) So should I think of building a non-overclocking build to save some money and buy a SSD? (Also you may be thinking I should can the Modular PSU and get a less expensive case. But I'm really fussy when it comes to how the inside and outside looks so thats why I've got a modular PSU and also colour co-ordinated my build to Blue & Black on the inside.) My other questions are how much performance will I gain when overclocking my CPU to around 4.3GHz and also what does a better and faster CPU inpact and make faster?

Thankyou to all who help.

It is also worth noting that I'm just 13 and this is my first build so I may not understand some terms when it comes to parts and such.
Geary

Postby Lenny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am

You can always buy the SSD later. Save up for one at least 120GB or bigger. Windows needs lots of space, and you also want your programs and games running off of the SSD.

OK, now let's get to your build:

Processor: Excellent

RAM: Get a better brand, like G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (or Sniper) or Corsair Vengeance ($40 to $50 for 8GB dual kit).

Hard drive: Get Seagate Barracuda SATA III (6.0Gb/s) 7200rpm with 64MB cache. Western Digital is a power saver piece of crap that will keep spinning down on you all the time.

Motherboard: Excellent

Graphics card: Get GeForce GTX 660 Ti, a much better card for about $35 more...

Good luck with your build
Lenny

Postby Gorrie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Good, better RAM and NOT Western Digital. They get horrible as you progress. Also if you wanna save 100 bucks instantly AND upgrade even. Then replace windows OS with Linux Ubuntu. Linux is BEST! Just use Wine application to run windows games.
Gorrie

Postby Boyne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Its a pretty good build, few notes

-The asrock extreme4 is capable of doing mild overclocking, but dont expect too much out of it, its a cheaper board. I really wouldnt push it past 4.0ghz too much. But dont get me wrong asrock are great board, especially in the budget category, but if you want to do some real overclocking you need to spend more.

(ram and hdd are fine, dont listen to above idiot.... the ram brand really makes no difference... ram is ram... and same with hdd. cmon i have a few hitachi drives, and they are labeled as the worst hdd ever made from buyers, never one problem. im sure it all stems from ignorance)

-That psu isnt too great. Id go for the 550-650W corsiar or seasonic psu. If you want a really good psu the 650W corsair TX series or the 650W seasonics are good. (which 650W is the lowest the better models come in, tho 650W is way overkill for this build lol)

As for your questions

i would make a non OC build and buy a SSD. Overclocking really isnt going to help you in gaming, because the i5-3xxx series are already way overkill for gaming as it is. Like there is no graphic combination that will be bottlenecked by it. If you had the money and the motherboard, you can use 4 gtx680s in sli and still be fine at stock clock.

So drop cpu to 3470/3570 or something, and buy an H77 or cheaper Z77 baord. (if you plan to ever run 2 cards, you will have to get a more expensive board. Make sure it has 2 pci-e 3.0 capiable of running at x8)

If planning on running multi high end gpus, id suggest a 750-850W psu. (again corsair TX/HX/AX or seasonics)

60-64GB SSD is enough for windows and a few programs and a game or two.

EDIT: Just need to add some extremely important info.

Dont listen to guy above about psus...

80% efficient does NOT mean you are only able to use 80% of the wattage.... like i mean COMPLETELY erase that smigit of a though from your head...

ill do a quick short easy psu break down.

efficiency is how efficient a psu is able to convert AC current into DC current (which thats what a psu does). So lets say you are using 350W on your computer at this moment. Well if the psu is 80% efficient (and you are at the peak efficiency, which is between 40-70% psu load), that means you are using 420W of AC power (420W is converted at 80% efficienty to give you the 350W you are requiring).

What does that mean? well it means you are using more power then you need to to use your computer. Meaning higher electric bills then if you had a more efficient psu. Also all the power that doesnt get converted is turned into heat. The less efficient the more heat. Which heat is bad for components. But any 80+ cert psus are good, as 80% cert only ranges from 80-90%, as the most efficient psu available is only like 90% efficient, as its impossible to achieve perfect conversion.

And about wattage/etc. The total watts dont matter at all. The ONLY thing that matters is the total combined 12V rail wattage/amperage (watts=volts*amps), since 95% of the power used in your computer is on the 12V rail. Though that is kind of untrelated, you should know it XD
Boyne

Postby shoemowetochawcawe60 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:02 pm

First off, I find ASRock sort of a sub-par brand. For your price I would invest in an Asus P8Z77-V LK that allows the overclocking of their more expensive boards as it uses digital power control and etc

$125 after rebates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

Also if you have a HDD from an older system, yank it out of there and buy an SSD for this new system. For $100 you can buy a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB with a SandForce controller which is a bit older but still an awesome controller. 550MB/s R/W speeds are 5 times faster than HDDs!!

Also you can cut off $20 from the DVD drive because when you think about it.. when would you need a DVD instead of a USB? You can also pull the DVD drive out of any older PC, the technology for those hasn't changed in ages

Other than that the build is pretty solid. Though my personal preference is NVidia especially with PhysX supported games like Battlefield 3. For the price of a 7870 you can almost buy a 660 Ti.

Also if you want your system to be a bit quieter I'd go for a 650W PSU as a 600W PSU will nearly be maxed out by your build (600 * 80% efficiency = 480W) and leave not much room for the future. PSUs can be taken from build to build so you could save money on your next build buy purchasing a larger PSU today instead of a 600W today, then a 700W down the road.
shoemowetochawcawe60

Postby Grigor » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Get a Antec, Chieftec or Tagan power provide, four hundred-500W should be more effective than adequate on your pc. You did not element out image card, even if that is an precious style (one hundred and fifty$+) upload more effective 100W to the ability provide, in basic terms to be constructive. in the different case that's an outstanding setup.
Grigor

Return to Mac OS X