Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Should I Replace My Laptop Battery?

Laptop Discussion

Postby Ashwin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:56 am

I have a Toshiba laptop, I've had it for 3 years now and it's in pretty good shape. Though today I noticed that when I plugged in it had a red X over the battery, although it said it was plugged in, charging. There was also a message telling me how I should replace my laptop battery.

Although my moms laptop is about 7-8 years old and she has to keep it plugged in at all times or unless it will shut itself down.

But at the moment I don't have a lot of money and I'm wondering, could I still keep my laptop plugged in with the AC adapter at all times until I actually get a new battery and replace it?

I mean, just a general question; if I plug in the AC adapter and keep it plugged in at all times will my laptop still be usable?
Ashwin

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 am

Hello anakhmel,

You system would operate normally even if the battery is faulty and you are using the AC adapter alone. The link below might prove helpful. http://dell.to/WRZgJQ

You can get the battery when you think it?s not convenient anymore to use the system with the AC adapter connected all the time.

Thanks & Regards

Vishal S
Tavish

Postby Ahern » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:06 am

Before deciding to replace a Laptop battery, run the laptop on the battery until it shuts itself down. Try to reboot it should turn right back off. At this point your plug in the battery charger and allow it to charge for six hours with out using it. This will normally recalibrate the battery. My laptop is plugged in all the time unless I am going some where and being mobile. I don't run it off the battery at home.Some batteries have a memory, if you plug the charger in when the battery if half down, the battery will remember the half charge and when you remove the battery charger is will run down fast to the half way point.

There really is no agreement about Laptop Batteries. everyone has their own opinion and recommendations.
Ahern

Postby Riku » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Yes, your laptop will still be usable. In fact, with most laptops you can completely take out the battery and just run it off of wall power. I did this for several years myself with an old laptop.
Riku

Return to Laptops