Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Do I Really Need A Laptop?

Netbooks Discussion

Postby Shilo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 am

I'm 14 years old, and I think it's time that I need my own laptop. Except, if my family is a bit low on money, and has been for a while now, is it really fair to ask my parents to buy me one? I don't want to badger them about it if I find out I don't really need one. We have 4 computers in this house. 1 is supposed to be mine, but its been passed down many times and its a netbook, and is slower then you can imagine. one is my big sister's (she's 16) and theres no way anyone can share with her. One is my Dad's who doesnt trust us using it, and is almost constantly on it for work, and the last one is shared by my Mom, who needs it for work, and my little sister who's 12. The reason I feel I need one is because I love to write, and I plan on becoming an author/journalist. I have no where to write to my heart's content. I also love music, and I need a place to have my own itunes library (which I can't have on the netbook without it crashing or freezing!) and I also have 600 subscribers on youtube and have nowhere to upload my videos.Lastly, I need a place to do my homework without everyone badgering me to get off their computer. Please let me know if these are valid reasons for me to get a laptop, and if I should be bothering my parents for one right now.
Shilo

Postby Branhard » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:16 am

Laptops can be expensive, here are some deals on desktops for about 100 bucks.

Maybe your dad and you can set up some agreement to get one.
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search...
Branhard

Postby Diamont » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi there,

Are you wondering how to downoad for free Family Farm pc? You can get it for free here: http://j.mp/1qXITfl

it's a perfectly working link, no scam!

Family Farm is a simulator and tycoon game. Your aim will be managing and leading a farm in which you have to take care of the fields, animals and other elements to make money and upgrade you farm step by step.

It's a must have game.
Diamont

Postby Cher » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 am

Well it all depends. Laptops are certainly good for work and entertainment. At 14? Well, at that age, the cheapest one was like $4,000 for me. So I didn't get one until I was 23. $400 with my Veteran's discount! I've had a few since becoming 30.

I'd say I can't live without one. I travel internationally for business(in the Philippines right now, on my laptop). It serves as my main business conduit, apartment finder, work finder, research, communication, data and photo storage, music, movies, and games.

There are many other things to consider. Every laptop I've had started taking a crap after only one year. Fixing these things on my own can get quite frustrating. It's getting so bad, I'm considering getting rid of laptops altogether. Sounds a little scary to me. However, I grew up in the 80's. I'm from the no computer/no electronics generation. I remember when all we had was record players, tapes, and corded phones. I remember the advent of the VCR, computer, laserdisc,microwave oven, cordless phone, cell phone... we survived fine without all that stuff too.

Next, I'm buying a MacBook. See if that thing works. Otherwise...

The other thing is the weight.These things are not as portable as they make out. After a while, they get pretty heavy. And you have to keep them from getting wet or banged-up. Parts are also virtually impossible to replace on laptops.

I also have a problem balancing my tasks. Often times I should be working, but I'm watching youtube, answering questions on YA(like now), or looking at naughty pictures. lol

Another thing to consider... When I lived in the USA(you are in Canada, eh?), I got an iPod. Those things are so incredibly functioning and versatile, my iPod REPLACED my laptop for about a year. The only problem is, wifi doesn't exist here. Also, you need to plug it into a computer once in a while to sync songs and pics and what not. I have a pocket computer tough! Actually, it's way better than my laptop. I even have a bluetooth keyboard for it!

Another option would be the iPad. I got a new baby. So still waiting to get the iPad :)

Either way you decide, one thing is certain. At 14, you can use some privacy. Your own laptop could be really good. So long as it stays private. So long as your 'rents are not spying on you. You're supposed to get in a little trouble online. Just as long as you don't promise to meet some fat 50 year old with some a bottle Boone's Farm and a box of condoms. Otherwise, you should have privacy. Don't want any youtube vids of you with your dad shoutting "You done goofed!" behind you ;)
Cher

Postby Albie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 am

look for a cheap computer that is refurbished by the manufacture.
You can often get laptops like this for around 100 bucks to 200 bucks.
I have 2 of them and they do everything I require.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/PC-Laptops-Netbo...
Albie

Postby CIywd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:22 pm

One of the things about a laptop is that it is portable.
This makes it great for someone who wants to do some photo or video editing and is not around a desktop computer.
They are also great because they can be taken to place like the library.
Where one can do research and a report at the same time.
Since they are portable and are pretty much a computer (tower) and monitor (screen) all in one.
They tend to be expensive.
I would look at a whole desktop system. Computer, Monitor, and Printer.
This is the time of year to buy one.
As many places will have deals.
Since the newer models are coming out and they want to make room by getting rid of the older models.
Some things you want to look at: How much memory does it have 6-8mb is usually good.
The more memory the faster it will be able to process information.
Another thing to look at is the CPU.
This is the brain's of the computer.
If you're doing something that requires a lot of graphics.
You'll want a bigger and faster CPU.
By explaining to the person at the computer store; what you want to do with it.
They will be able to help you out.
Another thing is the size of the hard drive.
I take a lot of pictures and video.
These tend to take up a lot of space.
I personally, feel that a computer is an important thing to have.
I was taking an adult education class in beginning German.
I had a question and so I email Steffi Graf's (a former German tennis player) secretary.
She then emailed me back.
So I was able to ask my question of an actual German.
I had a question about astronomy.
So I emailed Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the head of the Rose Center at the Museum of Natural History and an astrophysicist and he emailed me back.
I had a question about Billy the Kid and the Old West.
So I emailed Drew Gomber, who is a historian and knows a lot about the Old West and Billy the Kid and he emailed me back.
It is nice to be able to talk to someone who knows the right answer.
If you were in college I would be more inclined toward a laptop.
For one thing you could take it with you to class.
Secondly, you could use it for doing research on papers and projects.
Right now I would lean more toward a desktop computer.
All the best.

John
CIywd

Return to Netbooks