Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Question About The Apple Ibook G4?

Mac OS X Discussion

Postby Gehard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am

Well I recently just purchased an Apple iBook G4 with a 1.07 Ghz PowerPc processor with 256MB of RAM and a 30GB hard drive running Mac OS X 10.4.11 and so far i love the computer and the way Macs are set up being this is my first Mac. Anyway my only gripe is its not the fastest computer which I knew coming in but it is really really slow and it takes forever to load even websites like Facebook so i was wondering if upgrading to the Mac OS 10.5 and upgrading to a faster hard drive and a 1GB of RAM would increase the computers speed significantly enough for now or should i suffer thru it and save up for a Macbook? Or is the problem the processor? The reason i got this computer instead is because i only paid $70 for it and right now i can't afford a Macbook so what what do you guys and gals think? Or would i be better off going back to windows? Sorry im not to tech savvy but thanks to everyone in advance i really appreciate it.
Gehard

Postby Tirell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm

my best advice just switch back to windows cuz windows has a lot more apps and most laptops, netbooks are cheap and also the iBook g4 is old by old i mean really old and outdated just save up and get back to windows.
Tirell

Postby Cheney » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am

i might steer you removed from the Apple OS's In my very own adventure, in case you're able to make an effort to income living house windows or Linux*, it truly truly will pay off. you're starting to be an very properly deal, yet i think of you ought to get an previous pc for decrease than that cost, set up some variety of Linux in it, and have it run 10x quicker than that. *human beings say Linux is complicated and sophisticated. that's not the case, I assure you. The working gadget is unfastened and it comes with each and everything you will ever choose (objective, word, etc)
Cheney

Postby Fabian » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Funny how people claim "personal experience" when in fact, they have no experience with an iBook.....

"wondering if upgrading to the Mac OS 10.5 and upgrading to a faster hard drive and a 1GB of RAM would increase the computers speed significantly"

I would say that depends on what is significant to you, and also on your ISP. If your ISP account is for 5M, nothing you do will make it fast, not even WINDOWS. If your ISP account is for 20M, you will probably be happy... at least you will be $150 happy, because that is the value of your iBook... Oh, wait... you got it for $70? Great!

OS 10.5 is faster than OS 10.4 only if you have that 1GB of RAM. The minimum requirement for OS 10.5 is 512MB, and that will make it about equal to OS 10.4.

The fastest hard drive (ATA, not SATA) will be 7200RPM, and that is faster than 5400, but not a jaw-dropping difference. Get the 1GB stick of PC2100 RAM no matter what. That will make it 1.25GB, since the 256MB is on-board (It has one RAM slot that is empty now). You can use PC2700 RAM if you have trouble finding PC2100, but it will run at PC2100 speed, so it is just a convenient substitute.

Are you connecting by AirPort? That card is 802.11G. New Macs have 802.11N, much faster. Try ethernet. It will be way faster.
Fabian

Return to Mac OS X