Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Question about laptop's battery life?

Laptop Discussion

Postby teithi3 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 am

So, I was informed that I can prevent from battery losing its maximum battery life by taking off the battery of the laptop while using the charger plugged in. However, I am very scared to do this. I am consistently afraid that I might either kick the charger or hit the charger out of my laptop, and therefore shut down my computer.

So I decided to leave my battery inside my computer. But now, I was afraid that my battery will lose its maximum battery life. Then, I noticed that when I use my laptop on a charger with fully charged battery, my computer says: "plugged in, not charging" because my battery was full.

Does it mean that my battery is safe from losing its maximum battery life? Thanks.
teithi3

Postby canon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 am

Actually, the fact that your laptop says "plugged in, not charging" is an almost certain indicator that you do have functioning battery management software on your computer. Your battery is safe. Even if you did not have the software, it is likely that you would not notice the problems with battery life for a few years. The exception to that is HP laptops. They tend to have terrible batteries. Other than that, you should be fine.
canon

Postby bay » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 am

Most Lenovo laptops have battery management software, but obviously you don't have a Lenovo so you are in a can't win situation.

Laptops batteries have maximum life keeping them half-charged. You cannot do that plugged-in with the battery installed. Every time you remove and re-insert the battery you risk damaging the connector in the laptop. You would slowly wear on the gold plating. If you break that connector, the repair would be more than three new batteries. Batteries fully charged lose life. Batteries cycled full to empty lose life. Batteries kept charging in a laptop reduce the system performance I think because many raise the temperature.

Typically, you leave the battery in, and when it does not hold enough charge to your satisfaction, you buy a new one. Knowing that a laptop has a technology performance life of only three to four years, by which time it is low value and you consider it a piece of junk, then you buy a new laptop. During the four year life, you might buy one or two batteries. People buy new car batteries. Batteries are a maintenance item for a laptop. Live with the concept.
bay

Return to Laptops