Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Is Open Office Good Software?

Microsoft Office Discussion

Postby Schaddoc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm thinking of buying a new macbook but it only comes with a trial of microsoft office then you have to buy it. Microsoft office 2008 is £100 whereas Open Office is practically free and as getting a macbook is expensive anyway i'd rather not spend much more on the software!

Is there a reason for Open Office being so cheap? And can a person like me who has used Microsoft Office the whole time easily adjust to Open Office?
Schaddoc

Postby lucien » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 pm

BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!

MS Office Products are worth their money!!!! If you are in College, go to www.journeyed.com... You can pick up the Office 2007 Professional Suite for about $119.00

Open Office is a good free ware program.
I personally think that MS Office is far superior to Open Office, but that is my opinion.
It will work just fine, but not as functional by any means as MS Office.
lucien

Postby Efrat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:07 pm

Well Open Office is awesome because it costs exactly $00.00 it is 100% free. The only thing is I don't think it works with Mac, I think Open Office only supports Windows and Linux, of course I could be wrong but you might want to check that. However I do know for certain that Microsoft Office does work with both Mac and Windows.

You should not pay anything for Open Office it is completely free, if someone is trying to charge you for it, they are scamming you.
Efrat

Postby Cibor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 am

Open Office will work just fine for the majority of what people use productivity suites for. There are some minor differences here and there in the interface and general use, but it works basically in the same fashion as Microsoft's offering.

People comment on it not being as appealing on the eyes, but neither is block text. Open Office works well for what it was designed for.
Cibor

Postby Tuvya » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 am

I have been using MS products for over 25 years, tried out OpenOffice a few weeks ago, and have not looked back ever since. Go ahead and have a nice time with OpenOffice.
Tuvya

Postby Iustig » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 pm

its good but its not the best

i personally dont like the interface and other stuff but its free but i rather go with Microsoft office instead
Iustig

Postby Ervyn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 am

Open Office is a great alternative to MS Office. Despite an earlier answers suggestion, it does run on mac, in fact it basically runs on any platform you can think of. I go back and forth between Open Office and MS Office all the time from one machine to another and I have only had a very small number of issues with it. The only issue I've had with it has been with some word docs that have complex and odd formatting not showing up correctly in Open Office. In these cases it is still readable, it just doesn't look the same as it does in Word. That said, in many ways Open Office is a much better product than MS Office because of the increased flexibility it offers users.

One last note, if you aren't satisfied in Open Office and are using a Mac, go ahead and try the iWork suite from Apple. I have used it a little and really like it, I particularly like numbers because it really outshines other spreadsheets in quite a few areas.
Ervyn

Return to Office