Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Netbook For A Second Computer...?

Netbooks Discussion

Postby aleron » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:37 pm

i already have a laptop but i wanted to buy a netbook coz they are small and portable... easy to care at school.. i wanted o buy one so i don't have to bring my laptop (i don't like it to get scratch) to school if i want to surf the internet... what do you think is the best second computer (a netbook) but very cheap? only use to surf the internet..
aleron

Postby Darrel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 pm

I have the Asus EEEpc 901 Linux model. I get about six hours of battery life out of it, and its pretty decently priced. Around $300 I last checked.

It is beefy enough that it can actually do more than just the web. It has a 1.6ghz Atom processor and 1Gb of ram when you get it.

Edit:

I feel the need to respond to QD1956

Do you own a netbook? I have one, and it's fairly decent I have typed papers on it. As for the inability to have memory, my 901 currently is running at 2GB of ram.

I have the 20GB SSD drive, and it is no more expensive than a traditional drive. Also, how much memory do you need in a netbook.

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of a netbook. Its not for use as a primary computer. Its for when you are out and about and you want to be able to check your email, browse the web, use some applications etc.

Once you step into laptop range away from netbook range your average batterlife drops like a stone. I have seen few and far between laptops that have greater than 6 hours of battery life.

They don't need cdroms as no-one uses cd's / dvd's anymore. They are great for secondary computers.

I would completely agree with you, if this person didn't clearly specify "only browse the internet"
Darrel

Postby Jamon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:40 am

i think you should not bring your notebook or laptop to tour school.coz it just trouble yourself.better you just surf your internet at your home.............
Jamon

Postby Kamden » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:42 pm

I would not recommend any Netbooks at the moment !

The Atom CPU is actually no better than a Celeron CPU except in one area, the power consumption (it is very frugal).

ALL Netbooks are very good for Internet BROWSING not so much for playing online.

They are not that good for MS Office ( screen size, cramped keyboard ).

They are the "pits" (not that good at all) for iTunes and similar multimedia apps as they are not built for it and won't be fast enough for that.

ALL the consumer-level Netbooks* have NO internal CD/DVD drives, NO upgrade path and the following MAXIMUM memory limits:

Linux based: 512 MBs --- XP based: 1 GB (some RARE exceptions have 2 GBs that you need to upgrade yourself as it violates Microsoft's definition of a Netbook)

* There are newer so-called high-end Netbooks that come with more but they are generally pricier than laptops.

Hard drives models average 80 GBs ( some have 160 GBs )

Other models use SSD** (Solid State Drive) with no moving parts ( good when you move a lot as they are more "solid" (pun intended) ) but these are smaller in GBs and higher in cost.

** This is "similar" to the way USB memory stick work.

You should get a affordable (not cheap) "Laptop" not a "Netbook" (you CAN get a few good ones at prices that would make a Netbook blush). The best way to find these is by doing research.

As laptop specs change often, it is good to get non-vendor/non-partisan/non-groupie information so you should do some checking on these review/guide sites to help fine tune your search.

At each site, start by checking some models and then compare them with others (or against each other) by choosing different options using boxes and drop down menus to customize the search and get what you want in your laptop ( there is even a way on some of those sites to look by inputting the price you are willing to pay to minimize the impact on your wallet ).

Your time will not be wasted (after all, you get all this from the comfort of your home) and you should find something to your liking and budget.

Stop 01 here: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=hdr...

Stop 02 here: http://www.pcworld.com/products/computer...

Stop 03 here: http://review.zdnet.com/filter/laptops?c...

Stop 04 here: http://www.notebookreview.com/

Good luck on your research.
Kamden

Postby Kelby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 pm

I like the Asus EEE netbooks.
Kelby

Postby Apollo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 pm

dell mini 9 or 10 i was in the same sitution pretty reasonably priced to
Apollo

Return to Netbooks