Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Need Help Fixing A Friends Laptop?

Avast Discussion

Postby Erico » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Hello, my mum's friend has asked to me to fix her laptop, It is very slow and can't connect to internet explorer, she said that google chrome could could connect but it got deleted for whatever reason, I do not know, so what I need to do is get on internet explorer, i have a connection to the internet, i have used Wifi and ethernet cable to connect but 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage.' Please does anyone have a solution to this problem because i need to get on the internet to download Avast virus protection and run a scan. Many thanks!
Erico

Postby Tyg » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Has she been using it at work? If so, she's probably had to go through a proxy server.

In IE, click Tools > Internet Options > Connections, LAN settings.
If the 'Use a proxy server' box is selected, deselect it.
Tyg

Postby Finbar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm

AVAST will NOT fix this if it is an infection. Your first job is to use a wired connection and start in safe mode with networking. You then need to check that the network connection is active, that it is getting correct IP address, DNS and routing information and that you can view web pages. You will need to fix any problems here first. If you still can not get sites, first check the browser Internet options. Default all security. Check for prohibited sites to make sure there is not a general block set. In the LAN settings make sure all proxies are turned off, and that no dialup connections are set. If you still can not connect to sites you need to check that the hosts file is correct and has not been messed with by the infection. Once you have a working connection download the free scanner from http://malwarebytes.org and run a FULL scan. After it has offered the option to fix all selected items and you accept it will probably ask to restart. Do so IMMEDIATELY to prevent re-infection. Do NOT try to use standard active anti-spyware/virus programs to remove heavy infections. They do not get very deep when checking and often get blocked by system file locking. Once you have this fixed, download a good active security. Also it will pay you to run registry scans with ccleaner.exe from http://piriform.com until there are no more errors.
Finbar

Postby Manolo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56 pm

download the setup installer onto a usb stick, it also might be an idea to get a couple different free antivirus' to make sure you get them all.

p.s you really shouldn't be offering to fix a computer if you don't know what you're doing
Manolo

Return to Avast