Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

I Need Advice On High-end Gaming Pc Hardware Upgrades?

PC Hardware Discussion

Postby Avniel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 pm

hey guys! ok so i got my PC for gaming a year or so ago, but i finally got a job again, so i'm hoping to be able to upgrade it for games like crysis 2 and stuff when they come out. these are my spec right now:

Processor: intel core i7 920 @ 2.67ghz (4 cores)

Motherboard: MSI x58 platinum SLI LGA 1366 intel x58 ATX intel motherboard

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

RAM: 12GB DDR3 (6 sticks @ 2GB ea)

GPU: Geforce gtx 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 SLI ready

PSU: antec earthwatt 650w (SLI & crossfire ready)

-----

i want to upgrade mainly my GPU and PSU most likely. i was looking at maybe something from the gtx 400 series, but i hear that they suck up a lot of power and a dual 200 series is a better way to go. so i was thinking of getting another gtx 285 so i can use the dual SLI (i already got the cable link for them).

my questions are these:

1) which is better for having just one GPU: the ATI radeon HD 5000 series, or nvidia GTX 400 series?

2) which is better for using dual GPUs: ATI cards, or nvidia? honestly i've used nvidia my whole life so i don't know that much about ATI's cards.

3) also, my PSU is only 650watts, i'm pretty sure i'd need to upgrade it to handle 2 GPUs. what is a good PSU brand + amount of watts that can handle it comfortably? and if i don't get 2 GPUs, can it handle a single high-end GPU like a gtx400/radeon 5000 series?

if anyone can give me some advice on these questions, i would really appreciate it!

thanks so much =)
Avniel

Postby Skeggr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 am

1) Asus ATI Radeon Formula HD5750 1 GB DDR5 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card EAH5750 FORMULA/2DI/1GD5

2)ATI

Get it from a website that u know is reliable

check out at Amazon there are many good reatilers selling this product at good price3 http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Formula-PCI-E...

Also check out at Ebay there are really good deals going http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-...
Skeggr

Postby Taicligh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm

idk, but you're hot

Why did i get so many thumbs down? She's hot isn't she? haha.
Taicligh

Postby Panteno » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 pm

unquestionably, you're high quality for a very long term. variety of overkill with all that RAM, yet hiya it somewhat is your element ;). in case you had to buff up your graphical innovations in coaching for Skyrim, you could continuously Crossfire yet another 6950 for some greater overall performance. it somewhat is fairly all you're able to do, seeing as how your processor is stunning of the line Intel. in spite of this you could continuously choose for a 6990 in case you will the extreme, yet they're fairly loud and get fairly warm. it is your call.
Panteno

Postby Carr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 am

Kara my advice would be to leave your machine as is (see game spec's below), IMO SLI/CROSSFIRE is not really worth it and there are not that many games out atm that make full use of DX11

Performance wise AMD/ATI have the lead at the moment but they are let down by driver problems, stick with your current setup

As for your PSU, both Thermaltake and Antec make excellent PSU's, if you are determined to go SLI or crossfire then a new psu is required. At least 850W

Minimum system requirements

from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista

Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)

Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)

Video Card -256 MB**

Hard Drive - 12GB

Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended System Requirements

from Crytek and EA

OS - Windows XP / Vista

Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Memory - 2.0 GB RAM

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar
Carr

Return to PC Hardware