Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Looking For Some Advice On Upgrading My Desktop Pc Regarding Compatability?

Desktop Discussion

Postby Irwyn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 pm

I currently have

4096mb of ram

intel core 2 quad cpu q8200 @2.33GHz (4 Cpus) ~2.3GHz

Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

600gb hard drive

Hiper power 580watts 195-240v power supply

Asus P5KPL/1600 motherboard

I want to purchase the gtx 660ti and I think I will need a new motherboard. right now I will leave my processor as it is but will upgrade in a few months. The question is if I get the 660ti and a new motherboard will all of my current hardware run with them? mainly the processor

thanks a lot
Irwyn

Postby Cynbel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:46 am

My selection is: Pentium Duo core2 290gb HDD a million gb RAM Intel D10ggc2 moserbaer DVD-RW 52x blend cdcontinual word: U can layout the 40gb HD and upload it to 250160 GB HD If u choose u may even upload photograph card my choise for it incredibly is Nvidia88009800 each and all the perfect
Cynbel

Postby Yas » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm

You aren't specific enough with the power supply. Is it one of the split rail 360 watt (30A) total on 12V? I find split rail power supplies to be unstable.

You are talking new motherboard but have an ancient CPU by today's standards. Do they still make motherboards with that socket or will they dust one off? It's DDR2 memory.

If you have 30A available on 12V, I guess you can get a GTX 660ti. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S...

Your biggest issue would be whether there is a graphics card power connector. It may not have one.
Yas

Postby Russ » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:36 pm

The motherboard supports PSI Express 2.0, the GTX 660ti is PCI Express 3.0 and therefore wont work with your motherboard.

The processor socket is fine as if you bought a new motherboard, the new i3, i5 and i7 will be compatible on your new motherboard.

For me, the power supply will need to be around 750watt due to either high coolant or SLi graphics card.

Also, 4 GB RAM is good but myself 8GB will be a perfect amount. Of course if you have a 32 bit Operating system, 4 GB is the max. If 64 bit, 32gb (I think) is max.

Of course, im talking really about a gaming spec computer with your setup. If your not using the computer for gaming, leave the RAM, leave the PSU and just upgrade the motherboard and graphics card.
Russ

Postby Pinochos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 am

Well that depends on what motherboard you buy.

Here for example are the processors compatible with your current motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5KPL1600/#CPUS

You can clearly see your own present CPU there if you scroll half way down the CPU's section.

By the way, there is no way you can use the gtx 660ti until you get a new CPU. Your present one, as you probably have guessed, will severely bottleneck your graphics card.

Added to that, your power supply, if it is old, might have experienced capacitor aging, so if it is too old you should replace it as well if you don't want to reduce the life of your new improved hardware.

I would also advise you, if you are using one stick of RAM, to use two sticks instead, regardless of the amount of RAM. Placing your RAM in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode will cause noticeable degradedness in CPU performance (only CPU not GPU).

Again, just check the website of the motherboard manufacturer to see if the CPU is compatible.
Pinochos

Return to Desktops