Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Looking For Customer Reviews For Western Digital Elements Wde1ubk6400n 640gb External Usb 2 0...?

PC Hardware Discussion

Looking For Customer Reviews For Western Digital Elements Wde1ubk6400n 640gb External Usb 2 0...?

Postby Leofric » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 am

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspires confidence, priced right, January 21, 2009

By A. Dent "Aragorn" (USA)

The Western Digital Elements is, by far, the most robust external hard disk I've ever owned. And, when I say solid, I mean almost 3 lbs. solid (I didn't put it on a scale but it feels that way), 100% metal casing, likely to survive a building collapsing on top of it. Given that I bought it for backups, not for travel, I actually like it this way.

It's probably helpful to enumerate the features I feel are worth being aware of before one buys it (and I shall answer any additional questions if you drop a comment, to the extent that I can):

# Heavy, solid build, almost bullet-proof enclosure.

# 8"x4"x1" rectangular prism (these are not exact measurements but I'm confident it's close.

# USB port for data transfer, cable included.

# External power supply.

# Silent run - you can't hear it spinning unless you place it close to your ear.

# Cool - after one night of uninterrupted operation it was barely warmer than room temperature.

# Not a speed demon but I backed up 50GB in something like 20-30 minutes.

# Formated as FAT32.

# Comes with no software but it was instantly recognized by both Vista and my PS3 (more about that later)

# There is no manual to speak of - and no manual is needed.

# One year warranty.

# 30-day free tech support during the warranty period where the clock starts running after the first call to WD.

# Lacks the (to me annoying) carnival lights that some other drives have these days - only one blue LED, on the back, blinks when read/writes are performed.

# Competitive in price with the Western Digital Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDE1UBK10000N (Black) which I happen to own.

I can't think of anything bad to say about the WD Elements. I went for the 1TB size because I wanted to back up several smaller computers on it and my 320GB PS3. For a stress test and if you are going to use it with XP or Vista you may want to reformat the disk as NTFS - Microsoft will be spinning your disk for many, many hours and, if you bought a dud, chances are it will stop working during the 10-12 hours format process. Or, you can check the 'fast format' option and the formatting will be done in less than one minute.

After the overnight test was passed, I partitioned the disk into 4 using Vista (no problem whatsoever) and I formated 3 of them as NTFS and one as FAT32 (get FAT32FORMAT off the Net because Microsoft's utility does not work on a 300GB partition). Backups ran flawlessly with Microsoft's backup interface and backing up the PS3 was incident-free too - it instantly recognized the FAT32 partition and I have a nice PS3 backup now.

I highly recommend this drive as a backup device that does not travel a lot. If you wish to save a few dollars and don't have much use for an extra 300GB, go with this one. Otherwise, get the 1TB version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital 640GB External Drive, January 12, 2009

By R Sanders (Dallas, TX)

Great value for money.

If you just want a basic external drive for photo/video/music back-up, then this is a great product.

Install is a breeze with USB plug and play - there is no install disk needed, just plug in the USB cable to your PC and it auto-installs as a new drive.

The 640GB is a less common memory size, so you get more memory and a better price on this size, than for instance a 500GB drive.

If you do not plan on disconnecting USB without using 'Hardware remove', then in the Windows disk properties you can optimize the data transfer cache for optimum performance.

My only reservation is that it is a bit heavy and not as stylized as the book style external drives. So, if you want something to carry around with you and a carry case, then there may be better (but more expensive) options.

I've been using this product for a month without any issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero stars, March 21, 2009

By THE REAL REVIEW "Only 100% truthful Reviews" (I'm right here on Earth)

Sure, the "bullet proof" enclosure is nice and sturdy. Too bad I have now had 2 die on me. Luckily both were still within return policy range so they both went back.

I'll stick with the Essential/passbook WD's. They are smaller and take up less space anyway and I have 6 that so far have not failed on me yet.

WD makes great drives, but for whatever reason, I got 2 duds in a row of this particular model.
Leofric

Postby Rafaello » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

that is the closest I could find.
Rafaello

Postby Forde » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:47 pm

The most helpful favorable review The most helpful critical review

18 of 19 people found the following review helpful:

Inspires confidence, priced right

The Western Digital Elements is, by far, the most robust external hard disk I've ever owned. And, when I say solid, I mean almost 3 lbs. solid (I didn't put it on a scale but it feels that way), 100% metal casing, likely to survive a building collapsing on top of it. Given that I bought it for backups, not for travel, I actually like it this way.

It's...

Read the full review ?

Published 2 months ago by A. Dent

? See more 5 star, 4 star reviews

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Zero stars

Sure, the "bullet proof" enclosure is nice and sturdy. Too bad I have now had 2 die on me. Luckily both were still within return policy range so they both went back.

I'll stick with the Essential/passbook WD's. They are smaller and take up less space anyway and I have 6 that so far have not failed on me yet.

WD makes great drives, but for...

Read the full review ?

Published 1 day ago by THE REAL REVIEW

? See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews
Forde

Return to PC Hardware