Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

E-Book Readers Discussion

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

Postby Tadd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:44 pm

So I want to get an e reader because traveling with books is only slightly annoying.

I'm a big reader, which is why I'm skeptical on getting any of them because I don't want to pay full price for every book I read. Many of the books I physically own I have received as gifts or I bought at book or garage sales for like $1/$2 a book. I also borrow books from my local library a lot.

I read online that the kindle and nook allow you to borrow e books from the library. I think that's great, because I read a lot.

Which is easiest to control, download books from the library, and best to read on?

I know there are a million different types of kindles and books, but I'd really like some help.

I don't really care about weight or size. Both weigh about the same, and have the same size screens.
Tadd

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

Postby Gayner » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 am

Both devices would do just fine in all the features you require like borrowing books, reading, buying new eBook and even uploading your PDF's from computer to eReader.

I prefer the Kindle for few reasons and the main reason is that it clearly outsells Nook by good lead and the screen resolution and contrast is bit better compared to Nook.

I suggest you read this review comparison between Nook and Kindle from an actual user of both devices, would definitely help you on this decision: http://www.amazon.com/review/R21TZTT5CXC...

Hope this helped!
Gayner

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

Postby Keller » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:57 am

I have a nexus 7 with a kindle app which I LOVE.

If I had to pick between nook and kindle, I would still pick kindle, because I am not sure how long barnes and noble will last before going under.
Keller

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

Postby Dekel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Kindle, and not just because I have one and absolutely love it.

Amazon is a much steadier business right now, so you don't have to worry about your device becoming obsolete. You can download a kindle app to your iphone or iPad or anything like that as well and download books you've already purchased. If you are a prime member you can borrow thousands of books for free on amazon. It's really a great deal. And because Kindle has been out for so long you can probably find some great deals on the older ones.
Dekel

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

Postby Elkin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 am

I love my Nexus 7 and it has Nook, Kindle, Smashwords, and Diesel apps

admittedly I mainly use it for streaming podcasts and librivox.org books and checking my email and twitter.

Because of KDP kindle features the most books free but if you have Nexus or ipad or a smartphone you can get both Kindle and Nook apps

You might want to talk to your librarian about which ebook readers work well with their ebook lending system.

My friend who have basic kindles, who mainly use them to read like the paper like feature

Many of my internet friends justified the purchase of ebook reader or tablet by telling themselves it will give them access to most books in public domain through http://www.gutenberg.org/ Project Gutenberg for free or free will donation.

Barnes and Nobel's current plans seem to be to outsource the tablets and just keep the basic ereader. I also have a Nook tablet and the Nexus 7 is at least three times better.

My vote is for a Nexus 7 or iPad mini but I would choose Kindle over Nook

I have a Kindle 3 and like the text to speech feature although not as good as a podiobook or other orated book.

owning an ereader does Not mean you have to give up on having dead tree books

one of your former questions seems to imply you have a smartphone, Have you tried the Nook and Kindle apps on it?
Elkin

Kindle Or Nook? Help??!?

Postby Antonino » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 am

Kindle Paperwhite is awesome. Has the X-ray feature for tracking and research. Backlit. Great battery life. And. As mentioned by someone else, Amazon is in it for the long run, while Barnes & Noble is just barely hanging on.
Antonino

Return to E-Book Readers