Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How Old Is Too Old For A Home Theater Receiver?

Home Audio & Video Discussion

Postby bureig » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my ancient LG home theater system and originally was going to buy another HTIB but after research people said building your own is exponentially better.

I found some Energy speakers that everyone is raving about that I'm probably going to buy but those speakers alone put me over the very small budget I had. (Spent more on my new tv than I planned)

Anyways, I was talking to someone earlier and they said its more important to buy quality speakers and a mediocre receiver because the speakers will last you a lot longer. I asked him if its okay to buy an older receiver used and cheap and he said it depends on the brand and what you want your receiver to do.

Anyways....I've been looking at Pioneer, Onkyo, and Yamaha. I trying to go as cheap as possible on the receiver, there's some that are 5+ years old and I was wondering if its even worth considering one that old? If not, how new/old should I be looking?

I don't need anything fancy, my tv has 4 hdmi hook ups and audio out so I'm going to run an optical, I just need something that will produce a decent sound.
bureig

Postby Fitzgilbert » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 am

= You said optical, sorry but only hdmi has enough bandwidth for hd audio. I recommend new audio equipment. I hope the below is helpful to get you started.

- First, I recommend you do a hearing test before buying anything (I don't recommend used audio equipment because it will be less quality/volume/broke.ect).

- Second, I recommend lossless audio like flac or alac or dts-hd-ma or dolbytrue-hd.ect because the good quality audio will sound good on good audio equipment. If you have to go with a lossy format I recommend aac (aac/m4a/mp4 is a newer lossy audio standard and is much better than the old lossy audio standard mp3), but might not sound good on good audio equipment.

- Third, I recommend you use a audio editor like audacity and check the volume levels of the audio channels. If the volume levels are too high (put show clipping on), clipping is bad and it will sound like distortion and can damage your audio equipment. Make sure the audio channels are amplified to the max, but below the clipping level (new peak of -0.1). The closer your audio volume/frequencies is to the clipping level, there is about a small % of distortion (might not be noticeable). When audio equipment try to produce near or beyond the outer range of their frequency response range, there will be distortion.

- Home theater in a box (HTiB) is a all in one disk playing system that is cheap garbage.

= Terrible audio quality (don't let the bloated specifications fool you, that's why it's so cheap), little to no connectivity (terrible for connecting others devices to it like a tv or computers or game consoles.ect), some will have features while others have little to no features, if one component breaks (which is likely) then you have to toss the whole system in the garbage and hence that's why it's considered a garbage system.

- A proper surround sound system will consist of a receiver and surround sound speakers that hook/plug into the receiver, then you need a device such as a tv or computer or game console or disk player to plug into the receiver.

- Good surround sound systems will have a receiver from a good brand while having a separate good brand for the surround sound speakers and same applies for your other devices too, I provided some good brands for components that you can look at.

= This is the best way to hook up your devices by using a hdmi cable for hd audio and hd video (good quality hdmi cables will cost around $10).

- 1st hdmi cable to hdmi output on device to hdmi input on receiver for audio, then 2nd hdmi cable to hdmi output on receiver to hdmi input on tv for video (hdmi video passthroughs to tv untouched).

- Receiver menu -> manual setup -> hdmi setup -> hdmi audio setup -> send audio to amp (not passthrough to tv).

- Some good surround sound speaker brands that I recommend are: Polk Audio, Energy, Monoprice, Klipsch, JBL, M&K.ect

- Example of good low end surround sound speakers = Polk Audio Blackstone TL Series TL1600 or TL1900 or TL2600 or TL350; Energy Take Classic or Energy RC Micro; MonoPrice 9774; Klipsch HD Theater series 300 or 500 or 600 or 1000; M&K Movie; JBL SCS 145.2 or JBL CS480.

- Good low end surround sound speakers will cost somewhere around $300-$900 (crappy low end speakers will cost less than $200 and that's when it's not on sale) and mid end surround sound speakers will cost somewhere around $1,000 and high end surround sound speakers will cost more than $1,000.

= I recommend the 5.1 energy take classic for a good budget system because it's good quality and on sale at www.crutchfield.com at $200! (it's usually around $400). http://www.crutchfield.com/g_12700/Surro...

- The 5.1 energy take classic and the 5.1 monoprice 9774 (around $278) have identical designs and specifications. http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker...

- Some good high end receiver brands that I recommend are: Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha.

- Good low end receivers will cost around $300-$900 (crappy receivers or stereo receivers might cost less than $200 and that's when it's not on sale) and high end receivers will cost more than $1,000.

= I recommend a new low end 7.1/7.2 system, but you have to find one on sale yourself tho. (If your on a budget then just get a low end 5.1/5.2 receiver, a high end 5.1/5.2 receiver is not worth the extra money and you would be better off getting a low end 7.1/7.2 receiver, high end 7.1/7.2 or 9.1/9.2.ect receiver is only ok if your rich or if it's on a massive sale).
Fitzgilbert

Postby stanwic » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm

If the receiver works and can do 5.1, it is a home theater receiver and can do the job just fine for a while.

Optical and RCA Digital can do all audio codexes exept the two BluRay ones.
Those require HDMI.
Many new receivers (most) have HDMI in and will extract the audio.

However much you plan on spending on the total system, speakers needs to be at least half the budget.
You can start with a few and add to them as you get more money, preferably if they are the same series.
Decide on how much power per channel (watts) you want to use in the long run.
Multiply that number by 1.25 and make that the minimum speaker rating.

Speakers are the business end of the audio system so it greatly helps if they are good ones.
They can make a mediocre receiver sound MUCH better.
Building a system a piece at a time is a good idea.
stanwic

Postby Bleecker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm

For the receiver, make sure you have plenty of HDMI ports and a few TosLink (Digital Optical) ports wouldn't hurt. Remember, the remote control, it must be comfortable and useful without being overwhelming.
For the speakers, if you're on a moderate budget but want high end sound, check these out: http://fluance.com/product/XL7F_High_Per...
Bleecker

Return to Home Audio & Video