Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How Many Of Us Are Actually Using The Electronic Reading Devices Instead Of Buying Books?

E-Book Readers Discussion

How Many Of Us Are Actually Using The Electronic Reading Devices Instead Of Buying Books?

Postby Olivier » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 am

I'm one of the people who are reading with a electronic reading device..

I love my Kindle very much, btw. If you're thinking about getting the Kindle, I'll say get it instead of other ebook readers and you won't regret. Right now I've read over 50 books with the Kindle, and I really like the idea that I can bring and store all the books with the handy device. Besides, it uses the e-ink technology, it is really clear like reading books; and even I read with the device for long hours, I don't feel tired. The internet browsing comes handy as well when I want to look for information on some specific area. My only complaint is the white case, the Kindle is only sold in white at the time when I got it, but now the new Kindle has graphite case which looks much better ;)

And there are some websites, where you can find more than a million of free books for the Kindle, so that's why you no longer need to get to library, you can actually own these books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/b/?node=2245146...

And I suggest you to read this review from a top reviewer who is also a book lover, it outlines quite a lot of benefits of the Kindle and also why it is worth especially at the end of the review: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?i...

If you need to read PDF with charts and graphics, you may want to go for the larger Kindle DX (both the new Kindle and the new Kindle DX are now at a cheaper price and with better contrast). Read this review and you should be able to decide which one to get: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?i...

Hope this helps.
Olivier

Postby Pearce » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 pm

I like my nook.
It's the story I get cought up in.
And honestly? It's nice not having to turn pages.
Pearce

Postby Holwell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:16 am

have not bothered at all with e-books and e-readers.

prefer a book anytime.
Holwell

Postby Etienne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:02 am

I've never used an e-reading device & don't intend to for some time yet. However I could list a few adv/disadv that you could weigh ....

-- Save on Space! No need to stash books on shelves or under the bed in small rooms/apartments... However, I wouldn't want to trade the warm glow of seeing my books arranged in my study [as well as all the bedrooms] - all those Hardbound, leatherbound, paperbacks look so great together, lined cozily.

**** And Encyclopedia sets & coffee-table books - can they be replace by e-readers? ;-)

-- Easy Accessibility to a huge collection of books.

-- Probably cheaper too, on the whole?

-- Low Maintenance - no dogears, pages yellowing with age & turning brittle, silverfish, etc. etc.

-- Easy Handling - can carry it in your purse anywhere anytime, especially when on the move/vacationing. Books wouldn't take up that extra precious luggage space, & you would still have the choice of reading material.

-- Great for weakening Eyesight - that would be the Only reason I'd buy/read an e-book ! One can change the font size to suit one's aging eye-sight ;-)))

Add : Can read a book by Candle-light Anytime there is a prolonged power outage !!!

Would use an e-reader, if at all, Only as an adjunct to books, Not as a Substitute ;-))

My 2-bits *~*
Etienne

Postby Oberon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 am

Trendy
Oberon

Postby Fitzsimon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 am

Hi WarrenD This is an easy one for me. The wireless TECHNOLOGY is not good for our bodies (especially wireless in our schools-like those microwave towers right in out schools; damaging brains of our children--> due to the frequencies needed to allow wireless wonders.

First NO IPOD OR any reading device Should take place of the Wonderful BOOKs you can hold in your hand and turn those pages. NOPE. (Unless blind or deaf mute then devices would be needed) DO NOT TAKE YOUR BOOK FOR GRANTED, like the kids do the PC and other electronic devices.

NOTHING like cuddling in your warm bed on a winter night or a roaring fire to the pages rustling with a good book.

I hope that these devices DO NOT replace books. How awful. The "FEW" could bring electronics DOWN in a sec and OMG then NO books: unless we have our libraries at hand and second hand book stories which I frequent due to short funds right now.

GO away toooooo much technology. WE CAN LIVE WITHOUT ALL THE WIRELESS. BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS--->SAVE THE BOOKS AND BUY THEM NOW. :-))))

I would choose ole friend stay OLD SCHOOL ON THIS ONE. EVEN ON THE BEACH--Water hell on electronics. :-)))

Thanks WarrenD.

Friend Nancy Bisset
Fitzsimon

Postby lucien » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 am

Well, for those of us who have no iPad, the answer is simple; we still have to buy books.

I think even if I did have one I would prefer to buy the books I really liked. At 10 o'clock at night, say, when I feel like reading a particular part in a book, I couldn't turn on an iPad and wait for it to start. Much easier to read the actual book. Having said that, it's probably better for the environment to read books on an iPad.
lucien

Postby Maetthere » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 pm

BOOK is BOOK

it can't be replaced
Maetthere

Postby Achaziah » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 am

My wife uses the recorded books, I prefer to actually read a real one.
Achaziah

Postby Art » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm

I'd prefer to read a proper book.
Reading a book shouldn't be complicated!
Art

Return to E-Book Readers