Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How Do I Get Rid Of Windows Vista And Replace It With Windows Xp?

Windows Vista Discussion

Postby Ofer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm

I have an old laptop that I plan on giving to my brother.
It is a Dell and it came with Windows Vista installed.
I would like to get rid of Vista completely and replace it with XP since that is the OS my brother knows best and he hates Vista, can't blame him.
Can I just put in the XP disk and do the reformatting and everything from there or should I reformat it first? If so, how? And then how do I get the new OS on it? I have never done this and would just like some guidance before I start.
Would I have any compatibility problems with the hardware? Thanks.
Ofer

Postby Elisheva » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Theres a chance that the laptop won't take to XP too kindly because XP is only a gig or two in size and Vista is like 10 times bigger. You would be better off switching to Windows 7. It is made on the same platform as Vista, but without all the bugs. Basically you would need a copy of the operating system on a CD rom to upload to the HD, then when opened, the CD rom program should prompt you about deleting Vista and installing 7. Then some simple preliminary settings will be required of you and the uninstallation process takes over and then the installation process of the new operating system begins.

Note: Microsoft will officially cease offering support for XP by 2014, so you would have no choice but to go with something like Windows 7.
Elisheva

Postby Iustig » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

there is nothing wrong with vista that a few service packs didn't fix.

sp2 made vista fast, easier on the ram and generally a smooth OS.
Iustig

Postby Cliamon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 am

If you have a XP installation disk, then boot the computer through that disk, see if the computer automatically recognizes the disk and boot form it, otherwise you may have to open the BIOS and see if "boot form CD drive" is enabled and set at high priority.

Rest of it is just installing XP. And yes you can format the hard disk if needed. XP has the formatting options

I had made a video on XP installation/ re-installation a log time ago. But you may find some useful hints in it . You can watch the video on my channel on the following link
Cliamon

Postby Pauel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 am

No prob just insert the XP disk and reformat every single partition from there
Pauel

Postby Geremia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 am

The Most Important Thing to do first

> Go to the Dell site and enter the Service Tag

check the drivers download page for XP drivers

if only the only OS supported is Vista and / or Vistax64

then you will have a very hard time getting XP installed & functional on a system that was only supported for Vista

also note just because it was originally supported for vista doesn't mean it will be supported under win 7

Dell still has to provide the necessary drivers for the OS you wish to use

or you will be in for a rough ride trying to downgrade or upgrade

verify there are available XP drivers before proceeding

> if there are XP drivers available from Dell

then you can go ahead & remove vista and install XP with a legitimate XP media & COA

add:

on the bottom (laptops) side or top (desktops) is a black sticker with white text

or white sticker with black text:

this is the service tag & express service code

you need the service tag or express service code to get drivers from the dell site http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/e...
Geremia

Postby Beadutun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Well it depends on hardware for compatibility. Another option you could consider is Ubuntu since there are very few legal copies of Windows XP left. You could also get a copy of Windows 7. Most likely if the computer ran Windows Vista, it can run Windows 7, 7x better! Windows 7 installation is usually seamless on laptops with Windows Vista already on them.

Note: I have a laptop designed for Windows XP and is Vista Capable. Vista ran pretty well on my laptop with Service pack 2 and Windows 7 even better. I've been using Windows 7 and Vista side-by-side since Windows 7 came out and I think they compare very closely. Windows Vista tends to look older and run slower when using resource heavy applications and Windows 7 tends to run slower with internet dependant Apps such as Google Chrome ( I don't even know why). I hope this helps!
Beadutun

Postby janos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:34 pm

hardware will be fine .. first make sure the bios is set to boot from the cd, dont try to do it from within windows ... and you need to have drivers for xp, so check the laptop support site for xp driver availability and download them/save them on a disk or usb, install them after your done, go to windows update to finish up ..
janos

Postby Ceapmann » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Theres of project that the laptop won't take to XP too kindly via fact XP is barely a gig or 2 in length and Vista is like 10 cases larger. you would be extra efficient off switching to domicile windows 7. it is made on an identical platform as Vista, yet without each and every of the bugs. in certainty you will prefer a replica of the working equipment on a CD rom to characteristic to the HD, then while opened, the CD rom application ought to instant you approximately deleting Vista and setting up 7. Then some user-friendly preliminary settings would be required of you and the uninstallation technique takes over and then the putting up technique of the recent working equipment starts off. notice: Microsoft will formally give up offering help for XP by utilising 2014, so which you will possibly haven't any selection yet to bypass with something like domicile windows 7.
Ceapmann

Postby eugenio69 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 pm

There is no downgrade path from Vista to XP. You would have to acquire a legal copy of XP boot on the disk, and they format the drive and do a complete, fresh install of XP
eugenio69

Return to Windows Vista