Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How To Change Computer Name?

Windows Vista Discussion

Postby Rinaldo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Okay, so i bought this desktop from my brother & his wife, and i changed the computer name, but, every file is like this C://users/amy/justin/etc, and Amy is the original name of the computer. I'd like it so it doesnt show amy at all, so files will be named like this: C://users/justin/etc. I have windows vista, and with my OCD it drives me crazy to have her name in almost every file of my computer.
Rinaldo

Postby Cobb » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:19 am

start up, XP - appropriate-click on "My pc" and decide homes 2K - appropriate-click on the personal computer Icon "My pc and decide homes pick the tab pc call, hit the replace button, Then replace the call.... Hit ok and it is going to ask you to reboot. at the same time as the pc starts, it would want to have the recent call...
Cobb

Postby Haslet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 am

this is what happens when you have a used computer, the reason for this is because you can't rename a user account as this would bug directories so windows does the second folder thing

(C://users/amy/justin/etc) the only way is to either live with it or, if this is a recent purchase from your brother then you won't have any personal files on the PC, if so, you can system restore it (if restore points have been made) or if they haven't been made then you have to use system restore disk's, this would have been made by your bro, if he hasn't made them then you have to download the recovery partition from your manufacturers website (make sure it's for your specific model), if you can't do that then there is also the option of buying a fresh copy of windows, reinstalling it and then downloading drivers for the pc.

i don't know if your bro gave you any of these things but if it was a custom built pc then he should have given you a copy of windows with it, you can also use that to restore
Haslet

Postby Randale » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 am

Aloyce
Randale

Return to Windows Vista