Welcome to TechForums.info!    Latest blog post: Samsung Galaxy S5: In-depth Review of Features and Expected Deals

Advertisments:

How can I reach far wifi hotspots?

Networking & Wireless Discussion

Postby matthew » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 pm

I bought my friend an Alfa 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Network Adapter, hoping that he will be able to reach the McDonalds wifi hotspot like 3-4 houses down across the street because he cannot afford his own internet, and unfortunately it did not reach. Does anyone know a good somewhat cheap network adapter that will help him reach that hotspot? It is literally just a few houses down.
matthew

Postby geffrey29 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:22 pm

You could get a cheap "yagi" antenna from ebay that you can hook up to the Alfa adapter, which in my opinion is the best adapter you can get; a cheaper adapter will give you cheaper-worse results.

Or he could try moving the Alfa adapter around the house/closer-next to a window, with a bit of luck he could get the connection.
geffrey29

Postby chelem » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:01 pm

There are none. A 1 watt is about the maximum legally allowed. Any more than that presents a serious risk to health. The range is generally a few hundred feet in erfect conditions with NO obstructions between one antenna and the other. In any case, using a company wifi is only legal within the company's prescribed area. For someone like McDonalds this is normally limited to the inside of their property and may just include any external seating area, and then only of you have purchased their food. Otherwise he could be liable to 5 years in prison for theft of service.
chelem

Postby iona53 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:38 am

There are none. A 1 watt is about the maximum legally allowed. Any more than that presents a serious risk to health. The range is generally a few hundred feet in erfect conditions with NO obstructions between one antenna and the other. In any case, using a company wifi is only legal within the company's prescribed area. For someone like McDonalds this is normally limited to the inside of their property and may just include any external seating area, and then only of you have purchased their food. Otherwise he could be liable to 5 years in prison for theft of service.
Can't be done. The signal usually reaches just outside the door and no further, it's set like that. The idea is that you surf while you eat. Did you think they were a charity? Why not go and ask if they mind you running a cable?
iona53

Postby prentiss44 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:12 pm

good choice are you using the 9dbi antenna, you can get high gain commercial aerials or one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yagi-Antenna-17dB-802-11G-wifi-USB-Wi-fi-Adapter-Dongle-/200481043529
prentiss44

Postby riley » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Buy a couple of LONG USB cables and connecters and string it along the fences of your neighbors until you get a connection.
riley

Postby richman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 am

Buy a really LONG USB extender and plug a Wireless N antenna.
richman

Postby waren51 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:17 am

bring ur computer to mcdonalds... and never leave...boom problem solved
waren51

Postby hadar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:07 am

I bought my friend an Alfa 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Network Adapter, hoping that he will be able to reach the McDonalds wifi hotspot like 3-4 houses down across the street because he cannot afford his own internet, and unfortunately it did not reach. Does anyone know a good somewhat cheap network adapter that will help him reach that hotspot? It is literally just a few houses down.
hadar

Return to Networking & Wireless