Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How Can I Get My Vista Based Wireless Laptop To Share Files With My Xp Based Desktop In The Same Room Using Reouter?

Desktop Discussion

How Can I Get My Vista Based Wireless Laptop To Share Files With My Xp Based Desktop In The Same Room Using Reouter?

Postby Wichamm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:51 pm

My desktop uses XP and my new laptop uses Vista. No problem getting the wireless laptop to access Internet over the Linksys access point and router(to which the desktop is also attached via cable), but can;t get the two computers to share files...
Wichamm

Postby euston » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:59 pm

To make things as easy as you want, go buy yourself a copy of Network Magic or download a free copy. It costs somewhere between $20 - $30. It allows you to use it as a network printer, share files between machines, and repair faults. I use it and have three different operating systems running(Vista, XP, and 98). I have never had anything that I couldn't resolve using this program. It is great, I purchased mine at Office MAX or Office Depot. I can't remember which store, but I recommended it to several friends and they all love it.
euston

Postby delrico » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Can the Vista machine see the XP machine? When you open my network icon? Dmom 77 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
delrico

Postby Hetheclif » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 pm

When you open my network icon?
Hetheclif

Postby Roshaun » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:12 pm

1.Check Ip addresses-they must be in same network!2.Check firewalls settings-firewalls by default don't let you to share files through the network.
Roshaun

Postby Agustine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:16 pm

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspxThe differences in file and printer sharing in Windows Vista are the following: * The default workgroup name in Windows Vista has been changed to WORKGROUP. In Windows® XP Home Edition, the default workgroup name is MSHOME. If you upgrade a computer running Windows XP Home Edition to Windows Vista, it will keep its existing workgroup name. However, new computers with Windows Vista can have a different workgroup name than the other computers on your network. With different workgroups, it takes more time and effort to view all of the computers on the network. * Windows Vista uses the Public folder, rather than the Shared Documents folder in Windows XP, to simplify file sharing. With Public folder sharing enabled, the public folders and all of the folders within the Public folder are automatically shared with the name Public. You do not have to configure file sharing on separate folders. You only have to either move or copy the file or folder you want to share on the network to the Public folder. * Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to shared folders, including the public folder(if shared), requires a user name and password. Simple file sharing is enabled by default in Windows XP Home Edition.check out the Instructions for setup following this - and then make sure you see this:ommon Questions with Windows Vista File and Printer SharingThe following sections describe common questions about file and printer sharing in Windows Vista.Using a Third-Party FirewallWindows Vista includes a built-in host-based firewall known as Windows Firewall. When network discovery or file and printer sharing are enabled, Windows Firewall automatically allows the corresponding incoming traffic. However, many users use a different firewall product such as Windows Live OneCare or PC-cillin. These firewalls by default might block incoming network discovery and file and printer sharing traffic. If a firewall product other than Windows Firewall is being used, Windows Vista displays an information message above the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window. Figure 11 shows an example.Cannot Authenticate to a Shared Folder from a Windows Vista-based ComputerIf you cannot authenticate when accessing a shared folder from a Windows Vista-based computer on a computer running a version of Windows prior to Windows XP(such as Windows 98 or Windows 95), a computer running an operating system other than Microsoft Windows, or to a network device, the cause might be a mismatch in the configured support for NTLM 2, an authentication protocol that is used for file and printer sharing connections. By default, Windows Vista is configured to use NTLM 2.To resolve this issue, you can do one of the following: * Enable NTLM 2 support on the computer or device to which the Windows Vista-based computer is attempting to connect. For computers running versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, see How to enable NTLM 2 authentication. For computers running operating systems other than Windows, see the operating system's product documentation for information about how to enable NTLM 2 support. For network devices, see the device's product documentation or Web site for information about how to enable NTLM 2 support or download a firmware update that supports NTLM 2. This is the preferred solution. * If you cannot update the computers running operating systems other than Windows or your network devices to support NTLM 2, change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel registry value on the computer running Windows Vista to 1. This solution is not recommended.Took me about an hour :)
Agustine

Postby Barra » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 pm

I had this problem - you need to do an install on the XP machine http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspxThe differences in file and printer sharing in Windows Vista are the following: * The default workgroup name in Windows Vista has been changed to WORKGROUP. In Windows® XP Home Edition, the default workgroup name is MSHOME. If you upgrade a computer running Windows XP Home Edition to Windows Vista, it will keep its existing workgroup name. However, new computers with Windows Vista can have a different workgroup name than the other computers on your network. With different workgroups, it takes more time and effort to view all of the computers on the network. * Windows Vista uses the Public folder, rather than the Shared Documents folder in Windows XP, to simplify file sharing. With Public folder sharing enabled, the public folders and all of the folders within the Public folder are automatically shared with the name Public. You do not have to configure file sharing on separate folders. You only have to either move or copy the file or folder you want to share on the network to the Public folder. * Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to shared folders, including the public folder(if shared), requires a user name and password. Simple file sharing is enabled by default in Windows XP Home Edition.check out the Instructions for setup following this - and then make sure you see this:ommon Questions with Windows Vista File and Printer SharingThe following sections describe common questions about file and printer sharing in Windows Vista.Using a Third-Party FirewallWindows Vista includes a built-in host-based firewall known as Windows Firewall. When network discovery or file and printer sharing are enabled, Windows Firewall automatically allows the corresponding incoming traffic. However, many users use a different firewall product such as Windows Live OneCare or PC-cillin. These firewalls by default might block incoming network discovery and file and printer sharing traffic. If a firewall product other than Windows Firewall is being used, Windows Vista displays an information message above the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window. Figure 11 shows an example.Cannot Authenticate to a Shared Folder from a Windows Vista-based ComputerIf you cannot authenticate when accessing a shared folder from a Windows Vista-based computer on a computer running a version of Windows prior to Windows XP(such as Windows 98 or Windows 95), a computer running an operating system other than Microsoft Windows, or to a network device, the cause might be a mismatch in the configured support for NTLM 2, an authentication protocol that is used for file and printer sharing connections. By default, Windows Vista is configured to use NTLM 2.To resolve this issue, you can do one of the following: * Enable NTLM 2 support on the computer or device to which the Windows Vista-based computer is attempting to connect. For computers running versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, see How to enable NTLM 2 authentication. For computers running operating systems other than Windows, see the operating system's product documentation for information about how to enable NTLM 2 support. For network devices, see the device's product documentation or Web site for information about how to enable NTLM 2 support or download a firmware update that supports NTLM 2. This is the preferred solution. * If you cannot update the computers running operating systems other than Windows or your network devices to support NTLM 2, change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel registry value on the computer running Windows Vista to 1. This solution is not recommended.Took me about an hour :) Sources: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx awarulz 77 months ago Please sign in to give a compliment. Please verify your account to give a compliment. Please sign in to send a message. Please verify your account to send a message.
Barra

Postby Brewstere » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Hookem210 said: 2 To make things as easy as you want, go buy yourself a copy of Network Magic or download a free copy. It costs somewhere between $20 - $30. It allows you to use it as a network printer, share files between machines, and repair faults. I use it and have three different operating systems running(Vista, XP, and 98). I have never had anything that I couldn't resolve using this program. It is great, I purchased mine at Office MAX or Office Depot. I can't remember which store, but I recommended it to several friends and they all love it. 71 months ago
Brewstere

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:58 pm

johng said: 1 huh? 77 months ago
Spence

Next

Return to Desktops