Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How To Activate My Second Hard Drive?

Storage Discussion

Postby Charleston » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 am

I bought an acer 2 years ago and when I go to ''my computer'' there is a acer (c:) hard drive of 139 GB and a DATA (D:) harddrive of 139 GB. The acer hard drive is full and every time I try to install something new it says I don't have enough space left, when clearly I have a second hard drive of 139 GB. How can I 'activate' the second hard drive?
Charleston

Postby Birr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:36 am

Seeing the hard drive Data D means the second hard drive is activated. Drive C will be your operating system and application files while drive D will be your storage. All you have to do is transfer all files you created ( documents, pictures, music, etc) to drive D. This will free up your Drive C. You may also delete application you no longer use like old games, If you have MS office, you may uninstall application like one note, Access, infopath, etc which you do not use.
Birr

Postby Salvador » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:02 am

It is most probable that you only have a single hard drive, but have it partitioned. Most companies partition the hard drives in their new machines. Think of partitioning as putting a fence down the middle of a field to make two smaller fields. However, your problem comes when you need to install a program. Such files must be stored in a specific folder, which will be on your C drive. As such, there's not a way to put them in the free space on the D drive. However, you can move the metaphorical fence separating the two parts of the hard drive, making C bigger and D smaller.

Log into your computer, click on the start button, and open Control Panel from the list on the right. Choose the 'System and Security' option, and then 'Administrative Tools'. You may not see the System and Security option, and you'll instead be able to click straight onto the Administrator Tools. Once there, choose the 'Computer Management' option, and wait for the new window to load up. Under the left sidebar, choose 'Disk Management', located near the bottom, under the heading Storage. It will take a few moments to load Disk Management.

Once Disk Management has loaded, you'll see a list of your hard drives, and how they are partitioned. This is a graphical representation of your disk's partition map, and you can change it to give you more space. Right click on the D drive option at the bottom of the screen, and choose 'Shrink Volume'. A new box will appear, and you can choose how much to shrink the D drive by. Make sure the number entered is as close to the number above it, so you can transfer as much space as possible. Once done, click 'Shrink'.

Now, right click on the C drive in the bottom section, and choose 'Extend Volume'. Again, make sure you enter the largest possible number you can for the process, and click 'Extend'. This will move your available space from the D drive to the C drive, where your system can easily use it.

I hope this helps.
Salvador

Postby Horry » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:33 pm

complex stuff seek from bing and yahoo that may help
Horry

Return to Storage