Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Help With Photoshop Cs5?

Photography Discussion

Help With Photoshop Cs5?

Postby rowdy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 am

Sorry Monte - if Photoshop couldn't make poor quality pics look professional, those of us who use it to do just that wouldn't be making any money.

Anyway...

It depends totally on the image format that the pictures were taken in. If you're not a professional photographer, you likely took them in JPEG format, with a lower resolution, making it much harder to retouch the pics you've taken. Don't feel bad - that's pretty much what about 90% of the world does, not knowing any better.

The best format to take photos in is Camera RAW, or simply RAW. JPEG images are compressed by the camera to save file space; the problem with this is that in order to do that, it discards a lot of the image information to do so. Once the information is gone, it's gone forever.

JPEG's are great for sharing online, but if you want professional results, it sucks as a format. Hi-resolution and High quality are what you need.

RAW pics are like film negatives - they capture all of the information the camera sees, and the image can be adjusted to get the best result prior to saving to a specific format. Some, but not all, cameras shoot both RAW and JPEG.

Photoshop does have many filters and effects that you can use to clean up pics, but to be honest, it takes time and patience. But again, it depends on the quality of the picture you've got to work with; if it's low quality (i.e., low res like 72ppi) then it's tough; you can't work miracles with information that isn't there.

You can do it the easy way if you want to download and use OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite, and use them either as plugins for Photoshop or as a standalone program. They're not cheap, but if you're like me and spend a lot of hours doing professional retouching, they're invaluable. If you can't afford them, like I said, just download the free trial and use them to do the pics for your friend. http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/su...

Phototools is the best plugin of the bunch; there are image optimizers for just about anything you can think of, and any type of image.

If you want to do it the hard and long way, there are some key filters and adjustments to know about.

For low-res pics, the first thing you want to start with is the noise reduction filter. Remember to either copy the Background layer so all of your options are available in Photoshop,.

1. Click on Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise.

2. Make sure the "Remove JPEG Artifact" box is checked.

3. Adjust the sliders for the best result; use the Advanced tab options to reduce noise by color channel. Make sure you've got the Preview box selected so you can see the changes.

Image Adjustments

There are 2 ways you can do adjustments - either by whole image adjustment (all active layers) or a single layer adjustment (adjust the selected layer only). There are a range of adjustments, from Exposure, Color (Hue, Balance, Saturation, Vibrance, etc.), Shadows and Highlights (extremely useful if your pics have poor lighting - I use it often),

For whole image adjustments, click on Image>Adjustments, then select the adjustment you want. Make sure you check the Preview box for anything you open so you can see the changes in real time.

To adjust only a single selected layer (e.g., an area of a pic you've selected with a marquee), click on Layer>New Adjustment Layer, and then choose the adjustment effect. CS6 has an Adjustments panel that you can open from the Window menu.

Sharpening

Sharpening is more of an art than anything else, and a real pain with low-res pics. In cases with low resolution, use the Unsharp Mask or the Smart Sharpen filter.

Blur

For Bokeh (blur effects) to hiighlight an area, select the area you wish to highlight with your Selection tool of choice, then right-click and click on Select Inverse, click on Select>Inverse, or hit Shift+Ctrl+I on the keyboard to invert the selection.

After the selection is inverted, click on Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur, and adjust it to get the effect you want. You should try some of the other blur effects as well.

Here's a couple of links that have some great tutorials on effects: http://kelbytv.com/photoshopkillertips/ http://tv.adobe.com/search/?q=photo+effe...
rowdy

Help With Photoshop Cs5?

Postby Liwanu » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 am

I hate to tell you this, and I don't mean to sound like a jerk...

But, Photoshop can't make your pictures look professional.
If you want pictures to look professional, they need to properly composed, properly lit, and properly focused.
Unfortunately, none of these things can be fixed after the image is captured.

@Raven:"Sorry Monte - if Photoshop couldn't make poor quality pics look professional, those of us who use it to do just that wouldn't be making any money. "

No need to apologize.
But, I'm confused about your answer.
Are you saying that if I have a photo that is improperly composed, poorly lit, and out of focus...you can fix that?

And, more importantly, I said that you can't use Photoshop to make your picture look professional if it isn't properly exposed/lit/focused, etc...and you say that I'm wrong...and then you say:

"But again, it depends on the quality of the picture you've got to work with; if it's low quality (i.e., low res like 72ppi) then it's tough; you can't work miracles with information that isn't there."

Which is it? Am I wrong in saying that Photoshop can't fix problems with lighting/focus/etc, or can Photoshop not work miracles with information that isn't there?
Liwanu

Help With Photoshop Cs5?

Postby Zander » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 am

Do all of them :D. http://mashable.com/2010/08/12/12-beginn...
Zander

Return to Photography