Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Pc Help (ip Address/networking Cnc Machine)?

Networking & Wireless Discussion

Postby Symington » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 am

At work i have a CNC laser plugged into the computer and also have an internet connection. Everytime i want to get emails or online i have to go into network connections and change the internet protocol IP to obtain automatic but then the machine cannot read from the computer or visa versa. So then to use the machine i have to go back into protocol and manually enter IP address. Which gets annoying as then it can be hours until i can recieve important mail. Is there any way to get around this?

Any help appreciated.

Jason
Symington

Postby Jordanna » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 am

I don't know how cnc laser works etc...from a networking point of view...the resason you can connect to the internet is, DHCP assigns you an IP etc when you set it to automatic settings. The laser only seems to work when you assign yourself a certain IP address ?

I'm guessing the ips are on different subnets so I would try the following, set your machine to auto.

Open up command prompt ( search for it on your machine, or press windows button and R to open run and type CMD)

When in cmd, type ipconfig /all

you should see under LAN what your ip is, add that manaually as well as DNS

Then bottom right of screen go to advanced

Add ip address and subnet that match what you normally do for connecting to CNC laser

the
Jordanna

Postby Stanwik » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am

What you should do is buy a cheap router so that you can isolate the LAN inside your shop from the Internet.
That way your LAN is your own network and can be numbered however you want, but you can still access the internet through your router at the same time, without any reconfiguration.
It would be the router that obtains the IP address through DHCP from your ISP, and then your CNC machine and computer could either be configured manually, or they could obtain IP addresses via DHCP from the router itself (rather than from the ISP, as your computer does now when you want to connect to the internet).
Stanwik

Return to Networking & Wireless