Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Have windows 2000. can't download my free firewall and anti-virus progams on internet. says it won't. i really?

Windows 2000 and Earlier (Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 95)

Have windows 2000. can't download my free firewall and anti-virus progams on internet. says it won't. i really?

Postby wilf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:45 am

need your help. frustrated. computer was given to me. don;t know lots about computers. printer won't hook up either. paid to get hughes net and i'm frustrated now. dont want to spend any more money.
wilf

Postby diedrick3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47 am

Support for Windows 2000 ended July 2010 from Microsoft. Expect to see less and less support from software providers not more. Upgrade to at least XP or Win7.
diedrick3

Postby jantje65 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:57 am

The REALITY is that your PC hardware is so old, as is Windows 2000 (W2K), that there's almost no modern applications (like Anti-Malware, and Firewall Apps), or device drivers (like your Printer), that will work with W2K. And, upgrading to a newer version of Windows is not an option, for the same reasons.

So, if you don't want to spend any more money, AND, you want Internet access with Hughes (your ISP?), you may be better off replacing W2K with a free Operating System, like Linux Mint, for example:

TIP: If you're not sure how to install Mint, ask friends or family members, if they know how. There is also a good Installation Guide on Mint's website:
jantje65

Postby pattin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:02 am

I don't think anyone is going to support any Windows 2000 installation now, there are three (4 if you counter server editions) newer versions of Windows. Official support from Microsoft ended in 2000 so no new updates at all for it. Drivers for newer things like printers will be impossible to find.

XP will probably run on that PC if you've got a copy, Vista or 7 probably won't.

You feel bad about having to spend a $100 for an upgrade? I inherited a complete Windows 2000 specialized system at work. Just 9 computers but running bespoke software - now I have to spend nearly a $1/4 million to have the hardware upgraded and the software rewritten.
pattin

Postby chizkia » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:05 am

Windows 2000 is too old. Nothing is compatible with it anymore. I would suggest investing in a newer version of windows. Get either windows vista or windows. (windows 7 is better)
chizkia

Return to Legacy Windows