Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

I Have Some Questions About Running Linux (ubuntu?) From A Usb Drive?

Windows Vista Discussion

Postby Hwitcumb » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 am

okay, so don't ask why, but I want to be able to make a USB drive to run Linux on computers to bypass the security of them and access the files but I don't want to permanently alter the OS, so that leads me to my questions, is Linux permanent? how would I prepare a drive to do this? and what else should I know before doing this? the computers that I plan to run this on are running windows xp, vista, and 7, I don't plan on using it on windows 8, but please help? thanks
Hwitcumb

Postby Sayers » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 am

no longer properly well worth the situation in case you're utilising it hardly IMO - you may desire to besides in basic terms use a stay CD staying power is genuinely in basic terms cabinet area, RW ability study and Write and Casper is a sketch ghost! Booting from USB is likewise limited to extremely new laptop's so that is usefulness is limited. each laptop and maximum laptops have an optical force, so the stay CD determination is a lot greater desirable in case you desire to apply it on a sort of hardware
Sayers

Postby Sandon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:35 am

Yes you can put linux on a usb drive. See the link. If you want to save any changes (like install more software) you have to make the dive persistent as described in the link.

There is no guarantee that you could access the files on another computer. If the files are encrypted or are owned by the administrator and no a regular user you could be denied access to some files.

Is linux permanent? Do you mean on the usb drive? Yes until you delete the linux OS on the usb drive.

You cannot run the windows files on linux but can access them; copy, move delete, create new files, read text files, view photos.
Sandon

Postby Juan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am

To install Linux to a USB flash drive you need the linux .iso file & a program like UNetbootin. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Run UNetbootin, locate the .iso file & plug in the USB flash drive. UNetbootin will extract all the files to the USB flash drive. It's that simple. Plug in the USB flash drive in the PC you want to run Linux on, restart, press F11 & choose to boot from USB.

PS You might have to press a key other than F11. It differs from motherboard to motherboard. Also, older motherboards might not support booting from USB.
Juan

Return to Windows Vista