Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Do I Have A Focus Problem On My Camera?

Digital Cameras Discussion

Postby Huey » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 am

About 4 years ago, I purchased a Canon Rebel XTi (400D) as my second SLR, first digital.
It has worked great for those 4 years, but here within the last 2 years or so, it seems to not like to focus close-up.
And even far away, my shots are usually blurry/out-of-focus, even at higher shutter speeds on stationary objects while on a tripod and with Image Stabilization enabled on the lens.
It tries to focus, but it doesn't.
The problem is not as common on the factory lens, but with my 55-250mm lens zooming in close on something such as a pencil, even on a white sheet of paper, it refuses to focus on the pencil.
This happens no matter what F/stop.

Do I have a problem with my auto-focus not functioning correctly? And if so, how do I go about troubleshooting/fixing it?
Huey

Postby beresford » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 pm

I would be calling Canon.
That would be the most direct way to answer this question

800.OK-CANON
beresford

Postby Finbar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:31 am

Do you maintain the shutter button down for just a few moments before clicking it? The autofocus takes a couple of seconds to work and will only focal point on the center of the shot, so you may also have to focus to your goal if it is off core , then frame the snapshot
Finbar

Postby Turi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:55 am

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS isn't exactly one of Canon's sharper lenses (what would you expect from a budget telephoto lens that costs less than US$200?).

It has a minimum focusing distance of around 43 inches, so keep that in mind. Also, when you mount your IS lens on a tripod, you are actually meant to turn the IS...OFF. And, the long end of the lens produces the least sharp images, so keep that in mind too.

Here is an in-depth review or the EF-S 55-250mm lens, which will enlighten you to it's weaknesses... http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revie...
Turi

Postby Brandeis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:03 am

Could be after 4-years.
It would kind of depend on what your shutter count is... that is, how much have you used the camera.

As to the white paper and the pencil he camera will only grab good focus on high contrast subjects,

a person's eye, that pencil on say a different (not white) background that's of higher contrast than plane white.

But it could simply be problem with either the lens or the camera body.
I'd suggest that you have a pro look at it, perhaps a tune up is in order after these 4 years.

Good Luck
Brandeis

Postby Sceapleigh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm

What's the minimum focus distance of your 55-250mm lens? You are not trying to focus on something too close for that particular lens are you? My guess would be that you are trying to do something the lens is not designed to do, and so it is struggling.
If you take the lens outdoors and try to shoot something with it normally I may well work just as it always has!
Sceapleigh

Return to Digital Cameras