Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

I Have 2 Computers, One Has A Modem..should I Get A Router For The Other One?

Networking & Wireless Discussion

Postby Eker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:04 am

I have 2 computers and I do not want the network or anything else to be connected. I want the 2 computers seperate at all times .One of my computers has a modem from bell, the other one is new and I don't know if I should get a modem for it or a router....I am afraid if I get a router, it would connect the 2 computers since it is the same IP.....am I wrong,,,what exactly does a router do?
Eker

Postby Sprowle » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:06 pm

If you want the 2 computer to be connected to internet, separate at all times, than you should get a router. Because if you share the connection from the computer that has a modem attached, you need that computer to be turn on when you use the other computer in order to be able to access the internet. And if you have a router, setup a different IP Address for each computer, don't setup same IP for each computer, you will get IP Address Conflict if you do.

A router is used to "route" all internet traffic in specific order, so it can be use by other device/computer to access a "specified" network, in your case, accessing the internet. All device/computer are not that clever, they need to know the route, the path to get connected to internet. The router did all that.

If your laptop/computer both have a wifi, you can simply get wireless modem router, it will simplified your needs. But if your computer does not have wifi interface, you need to purchase a modem router, since you need a cable for you computer to connect to the router.

For information about wireless modem router visit google and type "Wireless Modem Router", you can get full information about it.

For information about modem router visit google and type "Modem Router", you can get full information about it.

For information about setting up LAN IP Address for your computer visit http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lan/index.html

Hope it helps.
Sprowle

Postby Aahwaanith » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:29 am

A router connects a single modem to multiple networked computers. The router takes the IP number of the connection and assigns local private addresses to each computer.

If you used a software firewall on each computer, and did not set up Windows workgroup networking / set the network up on the PC as being "public" so that it would not be used for anything other than external traffic, then you could keep them more or less isolated from each other.

Also depends what you mean by "modem" - if it's dialup, then they may as well have a modem each, but for broadband, not sure you could use two modems on a single service.
Aahwaanith

Return to Networking & Wireless