Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Hard Drive Problem? Do I Need To Replace?

Storage Discussion

Hard Drive Problem? Do I Need To Replace?

Postby Rouvin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:09 pm

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-NW265F

And my Hard Drive is a Western Digital WDC WD3200BEVS-26VAT0

My laptop is a little bit over 2 year old, but only about one week ago, it began to make a ding/beep sound. It happened every few hours or so and it was coming from inside the laptop. I suspected that it was from the general direction of the hard drive, so I did a few scans and tests. I first did Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnosis but everything passed. Then I did a Speedfan test and this is what it said:

All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.

The overall performance for this drive is 97%.

I am not quite sure what the "1 pending sector" means, but I find the fact that it lists the overall fitness at 0% to be very concerning. Is there any way to fix either of these problems or do I need to buy a new hard drive/laptop?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Rouvin

Return to Storage