Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

I'm Going Abroad In A Few Months And Need A Small Netbook/tablet To Skype With Friends And Family?

Netbooks Discussion

I'm Going Abroad In A Few Months And Need A Small Netbook/tablet To Skype With Friends And Family?

Postby Clem » Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 am

So... my questions are: netbooks or tablets? what brand is reliable? I'm not all that tech savvy, and I won't be any place where there'd be access to a tech savvy friend. Is it worth it to get tablet and then a portable keyboard? If I go with a netbook, what are the pros and cons of windows and ubuntu or linux mint OS? (Furthermore... how easy is it to become proficient in using ubuntu and mint?)

I'll be using it for the following things:

-email

-skype video calls

-pandora music

-general surfing the web

-MAYBE watching tv on hulu or something to that effect.

-typing up reports and some papers to email as attachments (Microsoft word is preferable, since I'm very comfortable with it)

-reading PDFs

things that are important to me:

-processor speed (I loathe and despise slow computers... I die a little inside everytime i use one)

-camera and mic performance

-user friendliness and reliability

-bloatware removability, ease of formatting, backup, reinstallation, etc.

-appearance (this ranks far below the other four priorities, but I'd still like it to be nice looking if possible. I'll gladly sacrifice sleek and sexy for performance though).

Price point: less than $450
Clem

Postby Odbart » Sun May 14, 2017 3:36 pm

I have an HP that I paid $380 for a year ago, and I edit home movies on it just fine. It boots Mint 12 cinnamon, Ubuntu 12.04, and Bodhi 1.3, which is fastest of all. Oh, and windoze 7 but I never use that. Linux doesn't get slower as you use it, like Windows does. I use LibreOffice to edit powerpoints, and Gimp for photoshop duties. And Skype, but I prefer Ekiga video phone. All free, of course, and no crapware. Mint is probably the most familiar & easiest to use for ex-windows users. Grandma can be surfing with ten minutes instruction. Ubuntu Unity is a little wierd but more powerful when you figure it out.
Odbart

Postby Inglebert » Tue May 30, 2017 7:21 am

Netbooks, unless highly upgraded are very slow and get slower over time. I have several and can talk from experience.

I would suggest a tablet. The Asus tablet is nice for about $400-$500. You can also get an iPad 2/3 to try. They are dependable, and have all of the apps you requested.

I would say spring for an iPad3 because they have the better camera, and better overall definition for movie and show viewing.
Inglebert

Return to Netbooks