Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Fried Graphics Card On Laptop Or What? (very Detailed Description Provided) 10 Stars?

Linux Discussion

Fried Graphics Card On Laptop Or What? (very Detailed Description Provided) 10 Stars?

Postby Cappi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 am

Ok so I have an HP laptop that I got about 2 years ago and is no longer under warranty.

While surfing the web the screen suddenly went black but the computer was still running. I decided to shut down the computer. When I booted it back up the screen has a slight 'I am turned on' kind of glow but the screen is still pitch black. If I wait long enough, I can even hear the windows 7 turning on chime, and I can even type in my password and I get the confirmation bells when I log in correctly. But the screen is completely pitch black. I was able to recover my hard drive via sata to usb cable but now I have this useless laptop.

Things I have tried to fix it:

-Hard reset, did not help

-Swapping of the ram cards, did not help

-Using external monitor, the signal went through and the screen had a glow as if it was on, yet it was still pitch black

-Used hdmi cable to hook up to a tv, same thing as the monitor ^^^

-Inserted recovery boot disc, screen was still black

-Inserted puppy linux bootup disc (why not?), still black screen

-Complete take apart and disassembly and put back together, same black screen'

I ended up buying an asus about 2 days ago. But is there any suggestions on what I can do for my laptop? Along with posting a possible fix (if any), please also post how I should sell the laptop on ebay if I cannot fix it. Whether it be selling the individual parts (ram, wifi card, screen, keyboard, etc...) or sell it as a broken computer with removed hard drive (because it still has my personal files on it)

Best answer gets 10 stars, because this is important to me
Cappi

Postby Okhmhaka » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am

So you are correct about the laptop graphics card are fried, and wont work.

You can fix this, but It costs money because you need to change your hole motherboard because the graphics card is melted to it. I think there is a way to replace the graphics card without the hole motherboard, but I'm not sure about it. the only way, is to replace the motherboard with the exact same motherboard, and i suggest you wont do it alone. because experts will do it better, but if you can do it by yourself, so you just need to buy the same motherboard, and replace it.

Good luck.
Okhmhaka

Return to Linux