Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

I Found Something Disgusting In My Dad's Closet?

Camcorders Discussion

Postby Nathair » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 pm

So, my dad has a home office, and he keeps all of his tech stuff in there. His closet is pretty much always open, and I already knew it was full of cables and old keyboards/computer parts and stuff. I was looking for his old camcorder, which I found, but I couldn't find the battery, so I turned to the part of the closet that is never open... and I found a um... a box for a sex toy... and it really freaked me out. I feel so dirty now, and there was a naked woman on the side of the box and everything.

I really don't know what to do. I have a horrible time trying to make myself forget things, and I really need to forget this. I know its normal, I get it, but I just want to but out and never think of it again! I think I'm going to be scarred for life. Please help!!
Nathair

Postby Dearan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Whatever you do, don't tell him. He would die from embarrassment. Just remember it's normal for someone to have a sex life. You will get over it as time passes. :)
Dearan

Postby Chochokpi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:28 am

You're having an obsessive thought that is causing you stress and anxiety. This is very normal in life, and it's just something you have to develop coping skills for. I don't think you have obsessive-compulsive disorder or anything. You just haven't developed the life skills to deal with this positively yet. Here are some things that help a lot of people: (1) realize that obsessions are normal, and don't stress over it. You can't make it go away, but you can change how it affects you. (2) Realize that the thoughts are unimportant. Fearing obsessive thoughts and worrying about them just gives them more power to feed on themselves and cause you more anxiety. Just accept that there's nothing wrong with your dad and it's really none of your business. Don't spend a lot of time on this; just whenever you have the thought, acknowledge that you've already considered this and decided that it's really not important. (3) After acknowledging the unimportant thought, do a stress reducing exercise for a few minutes. There are many of these, so just choose a few you like, such as changing your environment (go outside), exercise (take a short walk or do some stretches), meditate or pray, think of something pleasant that you like. The point is to distract yourself. (4) Another thing people do to get more control over obsessive thoughts is to expose themselves to whatever it is they are obsessing over. They do it often and in very small amounts. The idea is that they will eventually become used to the idea and more comfortable with it, so it doesn't cause stress. Once the obsession no longer causes stress, your mind will not choose this thing for you to obsess over. This is a good technique, but in your case I'm not sure how you'd want to go about exposing yourself to your dad's personal business. If the problem is mostly with the pictures on sex toy packages, I suppose you could look at a few of those online just to see what they're like. You may not need this part of the exercise, though.

Item (4) is really just an example that there are a lot of other "tricks" for getting rid of obsessive thoughts. But # 1-3 above are really common and simple and work for a lot of people. Good luck, I know with a little effort these thoughts will fade for you over time.
Chochokpi

Postby Barend » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:07 am

Whenever it pops into your mind automatically bounce your thoughts unto something else. Don't tell your brain to forget....it makes it remember it more. Picture a puppy or anything else the second it pops into your mind.
Barend

Postby Sayre » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am

Kids never seem to cope well with the thought that their parents are sexual beings and enjoy sex.
Mind your own business, forget about it and stay out of places where you don't belong.
Sayre

Return to Camcorders