Welcome to TechForums.info!   

Advertisments:

External Hard Drive Not Mounting Mac?

Desktop Discussion

Postby Fahey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Ok, heres my problem. I have a 1 TB Iomega eGo backup drive that I got around in December last year. I have used it for time machine backups and, because my MacBook only has 250 GB of storage, all my games, photos, music, movies, TV shows, and other files that I did not need on my computer all the time but did not want to download again. I had something like 300 GB worth of games on there, a bunch of TV and Movies, and a hell of allot of music that I have downloaded over the years, not to mention all the photos I have! I am in a 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro and when I plug in my HDD digital dvd that holds the file for encryption on Windows pops up but my "Time Machine Backups" Disk does not! I went into disk utility and the drive shows up, but is greyed out. I tried mounting it and had no luck. When I went to verify the disk i got a message saying that the disk needed to be repaired, when I went to repair it it said the disk could not be repaired and needed to be erased. I CANNOT lose all the data I have on this hard drive, it will take me months to re download everything, I will never get the pictures back, and the backups of my computer will be gone forever too. I have tried everything I can think of, switching the ports, rebooting, etc. I know as a fact that when I was messing around in disk utility that it did show up on my desktop for a split second. I was able to open it and browse the files before it closed because I was "Repairing" it. Anyway, is there any magical tech stuff I can do that will fix this? I need whats on that HDD and cant lose it. I do not have access to any other macs at the moment, and its formatted to only work on Mac, not PC. Is there a way to force extract some files before I restore it or am I totally f*cked?
Fahey

Postby Nari » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:21 am

You can try various Linux disk recovery programs. You can boot to a live Linux CD or thumbdrive. If nothing else, you could use the Linux command DD to copy the entire disk or partition to a new drive. Be very careful when using the DD command as if you get the target and source reversed, you can wipe your data rather than copy it.

In any case, there are a lot of other commands and utilities that are very useful for recovering a drive or files. I'm not that familiar with Macs, so I don't know off the top of my head for certain if Linux can work with a Mac formatted drive, but I believe it can.

Here is a somewhat useful thread I found: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/449...

From that thread I just learned that you could probably run any Linux disk recovery software using Homebrew without booting to a Linux distro.
Nari

Postby Radbert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:31 am

Hi there.
I'm not sure what location you are in, but I know there is a fantastic Mac repair shop, which is Apple authorized, in the Los Angeles area.
They specialize in Mac repair, and data recovery is one of their focuses.
If nothing else, I would think you could check out their knowledge base to see if they recommend anything at all for this sort of situation.
I hope you are able to recover everything!
Radbert

Postby Hogan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:38 am

"....needed to be erased. I CANNOT lose all the data..."

Then use a recovery app, links below.

DO NOT use any Linux apps. That is silly. Linux geeks think God himself made Linux, so Linux is the only way to do anything.

You say "Only got one cord with it"

Are you asking about the cord? Disk Utility does not test the cord. It shows file system errors. Those are not related to the cord.

"...and it has worked perfectly fine till now."

I had a car like that. Worked fine until... and never worked fine again.

Sorry you spent so much time typing this essay. The bit between quote marks above is the whole story. Nothing else matters.
Hogan

Return to Desktops